Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How much do you pay for fiction ebooks?

Text books and factual books are different. But for your general fiction reading, how much do you pay?

I'm generally unwilling to pay more than $5 for a fiction ebook. Of the 200-odd books I've bought this year, none were more than $10, indeed, only one was $9.99. All the rest were $6.99 or less, and all but 10 were less than $5.

My median price was $2.97, and my mean price around $2.80.

But perhaps I'm just cheap. How much do you pay for your fiction reading?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Gee I like your price tactics

In Aus our ebooks are expensive and I think it would be fair to say that there are more fiction ebooks over the cost of say $9 than there are under.

Which is why we shop 'abroad' so often.

Having said that I've picked up some Amazon deal of the day books for $2 or so, and of course some for free.

However it's only due to Kobo's recent voucher code splurges that have meant that I've been able to buy the authors and books I want (mainly English and Aus) for under $6 per book.

Of the last 50 or so ebooks I've bought the dearest was probably $6 after I'd applied the voucher code. Most books were between say $3 and $4.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-17-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm occasionally willing to go up to the agency-norm of £4.99 for a book I really want - I just paid £4.49 for Joe Abercrombie's Red Country, the day it was out in MMPB, without a quibble, although I have waited for the MMPB price drop - but most of the fiction I end up buying I am buying because it is too cheap not to buy, so my average price is way lower.

Since I haven't read most of them, a more truthful measure might be how much I spend on all fiction per book I read, which might not be all that different from when I was buying full-price paperbacks.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've never gone over $4.99 for an author that I enjoy. If it's above that then I'd rather borrow the book from the library.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Once upon a time I probably spent 15-25% of my disposable income on books. Even more as a child.

Now although I have more disposable income and books cost relatively more I spend far less. Not cheapness per se although I am a tad thrifty

$10 is a reasonable price to me for a book but if I see another book I want to read for less, well I will wait and see. $17.99 is far to much although I have been tempted. Generally a book that is selling for $17.99 give or take is available at my library far more quickly than a cheaper book. Go figure. And I am as happy with a library book as I am with one I have purchased. I don't reread often and if I wanted to I could borrow it again or purchase it at that time.

The price point thing is a new thing for me with ebooks. For paper books, I just saw a book I thought I would like and bought it if the price was in my pocket.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm quite comfortable paying a price comparable to the book's current pbook price (if it's something I really want to read by an author I'm already pretty sure I'll enjoy).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
No more than $3.99.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It depends on the book and how much I want to read it. The book I'm reading now cost me $15. The last fiction book I read before this cost me $8. I don't at set a maximum amount for a book. Each book is valued on an individual basis. The book I'm reading now is worth $15 but the book I read before that was not in my opinion and I wouldn't have paid any more than $8 for it.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I will go, on rare occasion, as high as $4.99 for a fiction ebook, but 90% of my ebook fiction purchases are $1.99 or less.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #10
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I tend to buy anything that looks interesting, or is by an author I enjoy, when it is cheap or free, then read it later, rather than buy when I want to read. Which means I have a TBR pile of immense proportions but haven't spent much money. So, minimum price zero, including public domain, and I spend about £25 per month, reading three or four books a week in the winter, one or two in summer. Some books come from the library, and I have a twentyfour book a year plan from audible U.K. Top price for a book? Probably about ten pounds, but that is rare. Usually under four pounds.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i have not paid more than £3 for an ebook i have just created my freebie tbr shelf on my kobo (650 books) and my paid tbr (78 books) i think i can 'afford' to not buy some for a while but if there is a good sale ..... who knows
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Palomino
Palomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than momPalomino loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kindle 3
I pay whatever is being charged for the book I want to read at the time I want to purchase it.
Palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Price is completely irrelevant to me. If I want a book, I buy it, regardless of price.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm quite comfortable paying a price comparable to the book's current pbook price (if it's something I really want to read by an author I'm already pretty sure I'll enjoy).
That's me. I am reading one I paid 5.99 for (it wasn't available in the library). I love the author, so it seemed a reasonable price for something I was sure I would love.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Price is completely irrelevant to me. If I want a book, I buy it, regardless of price.
I mainly agree with Harry and Palimino - although with fiction, if not in a rush, I confess I have been known to price-check a couple of sites, but if short of time I simply flash the cash ......

Non-fiction, particularly archaeology - and when it is available as an e, which a lot aren't of course - I'm afraid am rather a spendthrift ......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote