Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
For those who own a Paperwhite one and two

For those who have both a paper white one and two and have not sold their paper white one. Do you use both paper whites? Do you have one as backup of the other? What role does the paper white one play? I can see some use for both of them, a primary and a backup in case the first breaks down, I do not like the idea of having a paper white breakdown then having to wait a week or two for a replacemment to arive, expecially since I have gone 100% electronic with my book collection (If you could see my printed book library you would understand, they were massing to take over the basement.)

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I don't have a Paperwhite 2 (yet), or any other reader for that matter.

At some point, I will acquire another reader, be it a KPW2, a KPW3, or maybe even a completely different brand. Whatever it will be, the KPW1 will stay, as I like that reader well enough as it is now. If I get another reader, the KPW1 will become a backup.

If my KPW1 would fail, I can read on my Tab 10.1 (in 2-page layout, using a reading app) if I'm in a bind. It won't be as comfortable as an e-reader because of the size, but it would carry me over for a week, although i think I can get a new reader (much) faster than that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
I have both, but I would never use PW1 as a backup for PW2. Currently I'm using a $69 Kindle and a PW2, I'm pretty comfortable with both now. Personally I find the PW1 significantly worse than the PW2 or the $69 Kindle experience. I'd rather use any of my other e-ink Kindles than the PW1.

The first PW1 is merely for testing out things now, like new updates and PW1 vs. PW2 differences (http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,165383.0.html).
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
I have the PW2 as my main eReader for commuting and travelling. I have the PW1 as a back-up reader. Well, right now it is registered to my mothers account and my sister is reading on it. We live in the same village so that is convenient. Then I have a Sony PRS-T3 for library ebooks (ePuB).
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've only had my PW2 for a day so it's too early to say what I will use it for, but I'd imagine I'd use it as a backup for the 2. I have 3 other ereaders, 2 tablets and my mobile and ipod touch that I could use as a backup but my prefered device to read on is a kindle. So having another PW if anything should happen to my PW2 makes me feel happy
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
No, I plan on gifting the PW1 to my sister. I have no further need of it. The jailbreak and associated hacks are things I definitely miss, but they do not make up for how much more pleasant reading is on the PW2. No going back for me.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I have a PW1 and I purchased a PW2 with the intent of handing the PW1 over to my wife.... however, I found I prefer reading on the PW1 so I kept it and my wife has the PW2 (though I do think of hers as my backup ). I found I much prefer the 'blue-ish' color of the PW1 screen/light to the 'yellow-ish' color of the PW2. I can not appreciate any difference in contrast or sharpness of text between the two readers in a side-by-side comparison.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm giving the PW1 to a neighbor's ten year old daughter. She's an avid reader, I hope she gets a lot of use from it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I wish I had someone to give my old kindles to, who would actually use it. None of my friends are into reading. In my family, there are only 2 other readers. One already had a Kindle and the other wouldn't use it as she prefers to buy second hand books from charity shops to read. She would moan and say that ebooks are too expensive. So it would go unused.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a PW2 with 3G and 2 PW1's, one Wifi and one 3G. I'll use the PW1 3G as a backup. I'm also sending my new books to it by default, to look them over. The PW2 is what I'm reading with and I only have my current book and a few possible next books on board.

I also have a Kindle Basic that I've been using to loan books to friends and neighbors. My PW1 Wifi will replace that and I'll probably eventually find someone to give the Kindle Basic to.

I like having a reader and a backup and a loaner. That works well for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I read exclusively on my PW2 and my PW1 I'm keeping as a back-up. Every time I get a new Kindle I keep the previous one as a back-up. I donated my Kindle Touch to a friend who is a teacher, she uses them in her classroom.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I wish I had someone to give my old kindles to, who would actually use it. None of my friends are into reading. In my family, there are only 2 other readers. One already had a Kindle and the other wouldn't use it as she prefers to buy second hand books from charity shops to read. She would moan and say that ebooks are too expensive. So it would go unused.
May I suggest getting in touch with your local elementary school?

I know our kiddles here love reading on them....perhaps someone in your area would be appreciative....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Due to all of the bad reviews that I have read about the Paper white 2 I may sit out this version and wait for the third iteration. My one does have some problems, although not as many problems as my older kindle three had at this point in its life span. I thought that having a backup should any problem come up. I guess that if my paper white did develop a more serious problem I could always trade it in on a new model.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I gave up on the Paperwhite 2 after numerous defective screens. First time I am Kindleless in 3 years but I could not live with the QA problems that all of the Paperwhite 2's had.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have a Paperwhite 1 for home reading and a Kobo Aura for commuting and when I am out and about, it lives in my handbag. I have two other ereaders at home as storage devices. All my devices are different makes or types so each one has its own particular use.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote