Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Post Removed percent from book progress bar K2 K3 K4 K5 PW1

Tested on a K2, K3, K4, K5 and PW.

This little utility will overwrite the somewhat annoying "Progress Indicator" at the bottom of the page.

it's an evolution from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207020
and
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139049

until a better solution is found.

Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hideProgressBar-K2-K3-K4-K5-PW1.zip (2.6 KB, 759 views)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The UGLY Donkey work:

PHP Code:
#!/bin/sh

PLATFORM="$(cat /sys/devices/platform/mxc_epdc_fb/graphics/fb0/modes)"

echo $PLATFORM

if [ -"$PLATFORM"  ]; then

# it's probably something ancient

if [ ! -/proc/fiveway_wake   ] ; then

echo "k2 or something detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ || /.*NextPage*./ || /.*Reader*./ {system("/mnt/us/extensions/hideProgressBar/bin/wiperk2.sh &")}  '

exit 0

else
    echo 
"k3 or k4 or something detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ || /.*NextPage*./ || /.*Reader*./ {system("/mnt/us/extensions/hideProgressBar/bin/wiperk4.sh &")}  '

exit 0
    fi
fi

if [ -"$PLATFORM"  ]; then

if [ "$PLATFORM!= "${PLATFORM/758/}]; then

echo "PW detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null exec /usr/bin/parselog | \

awk '/.*PageTurnAction*./ || /.*JunoExecutionManager*./  {system("eips -d l=FFF,w=758,h=48 -x 0 -y 977")}  '

else

# it's something else, probably older

echo "Non-PW detected"

echo "" > /var/log/messagestail -/var/log/messages 2>/dev/null exec /usr/bin/parselog | \

awk '/.*PageAction*./ || /.*acxmgrd*./ {system("eips -d l=FFF,w=600,h=40 -x 0 -y 760 ")}  '

fi
fi 

Feel free to improve on that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #3
otnememento
otnememento began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Question

When I activate the script it works as described, but after a while (~10 changed pages) it stops working. Tested on my K4 NT. Any idea what happens here?
otnememento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Arcteek
Arcteek began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Hi !

Just wanted to say thank you for this extenstion. It really saved me, as I was driving crazy with this useless percentage while reading (my attention kept focusing on it !).

THANK YOU !
Arcteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
otnememento

@Arcteek So it doesn't stop working for you after a while?
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Arcteek

I unfortunately have the same problem after all, making the use of my Kindle very annoying, I can't stand this percentage, it feels like I'm in a video game.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm guessing it's because of tail using the -f flag instead of -F, which was probably a conscious decision by twobob, and not a typo (most likely because the busybox version is too old on legacy devices).

There might be hope for the K4, though, see if changing -f to -F in the K4 case helps?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm guessing it's because of tail using the -f flag instead of -F, which was probably a conscious decision by twobob, and not a typo (most likely because the busybox version is too old on legacy devices).

There might be hope for the K4, though, see if changing -f to -F in the K4 case helps?
That ARMhf on Kindle thread has a very recent, nearly complete, build of BusyBox.
(For the K4, K5, PW devices - I can churn out a K3 and maybe K2 version also if wanted).

Note 1:
When referencing it, it is in */esys/... rather than */extensions/system/... since there was a pathname length problem in editing elf files.

Note 2:
The Buildroot 2014.08 release will build the elf file editor for your host system now.
I convinced the maintainers it was a "good thing" to have on hand for system file editing.
I promise to get back to that project as soon as time allows.
(And I am trying to find where twobob is buried at and seeing if he can be re-animated.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-07-2014 at 11:50 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
otnememento

Thanks all of you for your effort. I'll thankfully monitor this thread. :-)
Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Arcteek

Hi,

Thank you for your help ! Unfortunately changing the "-f" by "-F" actually made it worse, the script not working at all anymore...

And I'm afraid I'm too much of a newbie to understand the Busybox part...
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That confirms my suspicion that it was indeed by design, thanks for checking ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 PM   #12
PECONAUT
PECONAUT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ignore solution found. Anyone else searching here what i did

just touch the left corner where it say how much time you have left to read it will change the format and there is one where it doesnt display time

Last edited by PECONAUT; 03-31-2017 at 06:46 PM.
PECONAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PECONAUT View Post
Ignore solution found. Anyone else searching here what i did

just touch the left corner where it say how much time you have left to read it will change the format and there is one where it doesnt display time
This topic thread is for older models than your KV running much older firmware.
The feature you describe is not available on the topic devices here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote