Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Adobe PDF downlowd problems

I bought some books over the weekend. Turns out that two of them were Adobe DRM PDFs. Now the problem is that whenever I try to download them from my library a new window opens up upon clicking the link but the new window after processing a bit just dumps me on the Kobo home page.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
I bought some books over the weekend. Turns out that two of them were Adobe DRM PDFs. Now the problem is that whenever I try to download them from my library a new window opens up upon clicking the link but the new window after processing a bit just dumps me on the Kobo home page.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Just tried it with my local library and I got a file download popup asking what I wanted to do with the URLLink.acsm file giving Adobe's ADE as the default. Downloaded the .acsm file and ADE opened it. I then transferred the file to my Aura HD using ADE and works as well as could be expected -- eInk is not the best way to read pdf files.

From the Kobo page, I picked a free book. I then went to My Library --> I'm Reading, clicked on the Adobe DRM PDF link for the book, download the URLLink.acsm file into ADE and continued as above.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-04-2013 at 09:41 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just tried it with my local library and I got a file download popup asking what I wanted to do with the URLLink.acsm file giving Adobe's ADE as the default. Downloaded the .acsm file and ADE opened it. I then transferred the file to my Aura HD using ADE and works as well as could be expected -- eInk is not the best way to read pdf files.

From the Kobo page, I picked a free book. I then went to My Library --> I'm Reading, clicked on the Adobe DRM PDF link for the book, download the URLLink.acsm file into ADE and continued as above.

Regards,
David
The problem is I'm not getting an acsm file

And I just checked, a pdf book which I bought months ago and had been able to download (and have safely tucked away in ADE, can't be downloaded any more. Same glitch, no acsm file, just ends up being redirected to the main page.

Even stranger after some more checking. Opening up one of the books (haven't tried the other two) on the new web page, under "read this on", nothing is listed...

Last edited by Nightyume; 11-04-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
The problem is I'm not getting an acsm file
Time to add another entry to that long list of bugs with Kobo's website.

Can you PM me the names of the books so I can what they look like for me?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I have that same problem, I reported it to kobo and I'm waiting for a solution, let's see how mutch will it take.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

finally the support answered my ticket about not being able to download the book

Quote:
Thank you for the update. We are glad to help you. Due to a high volume of emails lately we have not been able to respond in the established time frame. Please accept our apologies for the delay in response and any inconvenience this may have caused.

Unfortunately, the ADOBE DRM button for PDF files is not working at this moment in the Kobo web site so the book cannot be downloaded in that way and we apologize for that inconvenience. However, for your satisfaction you have the option to download your book to your Kobo Glo via Wifi following the steps below:

Sync your Kobo eReader using Wi Fi

1.Press the Home button.
2.Tap the Menu icon at the top of the page (it looks like 3 lines).
3.Tap the Sync icon.
•If you are within range of a Known network, the eReader will automatically join that network and update your books, bookmarks, and recommendations.
•If you are not within range of a Known network, the eReader will begin the Adding a Network process.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
I synched and ended without the book but with the new firmware that I don’t want, just ditched the files from the update, and will again contact the support, let’s see what will they say this time.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Nightyume
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
finally the support answered my ticket about not being able to download the book

I synched and ended without the book but with the new firmware that I don’t want, just ditched the files from the update, and will again contact the support, let’s see what will they say this time.
PDFs require ADE to authorize/certify the device. As such Adobe DRM PDFs can only be sideload. I know because when I first bought a PDF I was surprised that it didn't sync to my device after purchase like my kepub and drm free spin books bought on Kobo.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post

Please kick CS in an appropriate place when you contact them again. If it was only available as a PDF they just wasted their time and yours doing a sync to get it because (as Nightyume said) you can't get a pdf via sync . At least they did say they were having a problem with the ADE link for it, but you're stuck until they get that fixed.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
tempest@de
Fanatic

This is so ridiculous, I would expect that the person that answered my ticket would know that, I see this was just another typical support situation, were they tell you to do something that don’t solve the problem and only make you waste time and get annoyed
Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Once you do manage to get the books, it's a good idea to run them through Apprentice Alf's software so you don't get stuck with this again. Good luck.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
tempest@de
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Once you do manage to get the books, it's a good idea to run them through Apprentice Alf's software so you don't get stuck with this again. Good luck.
I usually do that, I transfer al my books to the pc and “clean” them and make a security copy, just in case. In this case I bought the book and only when I tried to download did it show the format, had I know before and I wouldn’t have bought it, I hate reading pdfs in the glo, I always convert them but for them to be ok it takes some time.

They now say that their records show that the book has been open; I would like to know how that is possible since I could download it. I asked for a refund since I’m tired off this back and forth and they asked for the transaction number that is in the purchase confirmation email, the email that we are not receiving since last week. This is becoming more and more ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
tempest@de
Fanatic

after 10 days of reporting the problem kobo refunded the money and removed the book from my library, I can now go look for it elswere.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #13
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I managed to get an Adobe DRM PDF onto my iPad. If anybody can show me explicit instructions as to how to sideload the same book onto my Kobo Glo I would very much appreciate it. I unfortunately don't have Windows on my computer, just Fedora.

Step 1: create an account at adobe.com
Step 2: in the iPad's Kobo app's Settings, sign into the Adobe ADE account
Step 3: in the iPad's Safari app, log into kobobooks.com
Step 4: navigate to your Library, and tap the ADOBE DRM PDF download link for the .acsm file
Step 5: use the "Open in" dialog and open it in your Kobo app
Step 6: click the new book in your library

I assume this will also work on an iPhone, but the tiny screen may not be suitable for reading.

And I don't yet know how to do the same thing on my Kobo Glo, partly since I don't have Windows available.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
If the PDF is DRM protected you HAVE to activate the Kobo within Adobe Digital Edition on your PC / Mac. This will authorize your Kobo device to your Adobe ID.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepossum View Post
I assume this will also work on an iPhone, but the tiny screen may not be suitable for reading.
Correct, the procedure is the same for any iOS device
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote