Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Keeping track of the current page

I am loading freshly downloaded books into calibre and I notice that when I hit "V" to start the viewer I am more often than not taken to what looks like a random spot in the e-book, often somewhere near the end.

So I have to click the TOC button, select whatever is closer to the beginning of the book and hit TAB repeatedly until I am positioned right at the beginning. Then, I can start paging down and do a quick evaluation of the e-book.

I can live with that but I have a few questions:

Why is this happening?

How does e-reading software keep track of the "current page" and where is the information stored?

Is there a quick way to reset the e-book to "0% read" in calibre?

Is there any way I could bind a keyboard combo to toggle visibility of the TOC?

Since this happens immediately after the initial download and therefore the very first time I access such epub's in calibre, am I somehow inheriting the last spot the e-book's creator was on before he uploaded the e-pub (which sounds unlikely) ... or is it purely random..?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Never happens to me.
Click configure (little gears)
under miscellaneous options uncheck remember current page when quitting.
There is a menu for keyboard shortcuts as well although I just use the sidebar to toggle TOC

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Please read the sticky before posting in Development. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122042
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If your freshly downloaded epubs were opened in someone's calibre viewer before being uploaded, then the booksmarks will have come with them and will be used the first time you open the book. As for how to go to the begining oof the book, press Ctrl+ Home (shortcut configurable via the viewer preferences).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote