Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Looking for "The Octave of Claudius " by Barry Pain

A book published in 1897,writer by an author who died in 1928.Its description is as follows:

"CLAUDIUS Sandell, a young unpublished novelist, is rendered penniless and homeless when his father disowns him. The mysterious surgeon Dr. Lamb gives Claudius Ł8,000 to spend as he sees fit, and an octave (eight days) in which to spend it…on condition that Claudius must afterward submit to an experiment that will "benefit mankind."

In the next eight days, Claudius reconciles with his father, gets his novel accepted, meets a beautiful young woman who reciprocates his passion, and becomes wealthy in the stock market. Naturally, being a man of honor, Claudius reports to Dr. Lamb's laboratory on schedule. Fortunately, the crazed scientist's long-abused wife murders Dr. Lamb just as Claudius is about to be surgically regressed to simian form. "

It was also praised by George Orwell in his 1945 essay,and called it a "wery rare book" THEN.I wonder if anyone has this,or anyone knows where to get it,e book or paper .Australian Gutenberg only has a short story by Pain called "the end of a show",which isnt even amongst his more important works.

thanks for your help.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
While you continue looking, there is a collection of ten of Pain's short stories, called 'Stories in the Dark' at Horrormasters.com - unfortunately in pdf.

http://www.horrormasters.com/SS_Col_Pain1.htm
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No hits for it on abebooks, which is unusual. Might it have been included in a collection of stories under a different title, perhaps?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I found the following at the internet archive but none contain The Octave of Claudius.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=barry%20pain

Stories in grey ([1911?])

Eliza (c1904)

Stories without tears (1914)

In a Canadian canoe, The nine muses minus one, and other stories ([1891?])

The exiles of Faloo ([1910])

If winter don't ([c1922])

Marge Askinforit (1921)

Stories and interludes (c1892)

If summer don't ([1922?])

Playthings and parodies ([c1892])

De Omnibus ([19--?])
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
That DOES seem like a rare title. You can check these library locations, mind you only 9 copies are shown worldwide plus one microfilm edition (Which might be best, as the others may be in a rare books section).

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/1119257...=brief_results

If you don't mind paying, you could get a print out, or possibly scanned pdf thru the Copy Services staff at the NY public library. (They are the ones with the microfilm edition.
http://www.nypl.org/research/chss/se...photocopy.html

Good luck -MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

except I dont live in the US.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Lobolover
Gorosei

HarryT -I think not.it was credited as a book by Orwell and as a stand alone piece on wikipedia.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Lobolover, I see that you have a couple of threads asking for the location of ebooks.
May I recommend the Online Books search page? I have found it very useful.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

the Digital Book Index is also good:

http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_sea...ch011t-rev.asp
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Lobolover
Gorosei

neither of those has either the octave,or the 100% public domain Epicurean.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
except I dont live in the US.
Why I specifically linked that one, you may want to try contacting them. If you get no where with the copy services, you could try the department that has the book directly. It might cost a handsome fee, or you may luck out and they'll take pity on you. Printing out the microfilm seems like alot easier request then getting someone to scan an entire book for you. Probably would depend on how you word your request. I would certainly bring up the non-availability of the title. They do have "Copy Services staff will accept photocopy requests from on-site users." listed, but again, it doesn't hurt to contact them.

-MJ
Old 04-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Lobolover
Gorosei

well,I could tell them that it is in the public domain.Hmm.I could give it a try.but what did you mean with "Copy Services staff will accept photocopy requests from on-site users." ?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
mjh215
Guru

Sorry, I referenced that cause I think they list that to suggest that they don't perform that function for people that aren't physically in the library. But the fact you are quite removed from anywhere you could access the title (Strangely, most people are more willing to help someone halfway across the planet then they are their own neighbor) might buy you some sympathy. They would already know it is in the public domain, what you would probably need to do is give them a valid reason for their taking the time to help you. Like I said, one would be to reference the lack of copies worldwide. Your actual need for it and possibly others.

Again it is just a thought. That's arguably one of the worlds largest and busiest libraries. So whether or not they would feel you or Pain's novel is deserving is another matter. I looked thru their list of what is being digitized for Google and that doesn't look like it'd fall into those categories. Even the ones they are considering for the future.

-MJ

After writing this I thought to look at something. In addition to the New York Public Library, three of the libraries that have Octave of Claudius are part of the Google Books project. You may want to send them a request to add it to their titles to be scanned.
The three are Princeton University, University of Wisconsin - Madison, and University of California.

Last edited by mjh215; 04-08-2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
Lobolover
Gorosei

I can try,but sending a leter to Princeton,demanding them to do something seems kinda?Well,I WILL,IF I will get a contact on them.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobolover View Post
I can try,but sending a leter to Princeton,demanding them to do something seems kinda?Well,I WILL,IF I will get a contact on them.
I suspect demanding won't get you very far. Honey works better than vinegar for this sort of thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
Lobolover
Gorosei

I know that,Its just-sending a leter to Princeton for that......well,I can try.

ps:anyone know a contact on anyone in charge of google books?