Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
Skytribe
Skytribe began at the beginning.

Device: None
Can I get Android on Kobo Mini

Hi all,
please be gentle with me I am a complete newbie here and this ground may have been already covered. If so I apologise. I have had a good look thru old posts etc but unable to see anything useful.
I have had conflicting advice from several sources 1 says yes Mini is heavily nailed down android others say nothing android on it whatsoever.
Can I ask for some definitive clarification on this?
Also, regardless of whether it is on there originally, can I get it on there?
My main desire for using the Mini is the e ink display which reads really very well in direct sunlight. I will connect a micro USB Bluetooth dongle and away I go. IF I can get some version of Android OS on there. The BlueFly vario I want to use it with runs via an android app.

Any advice or guidance on this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Skytribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
None of the Kobo eReaders are Android; they're all linux based.

The Arc / Vox product lines are Android.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
PeterT is correct. Plus, the Kobo Mini's hardware would scarcely be capable of running Android. It's (the hardware) pretty lightweight.
There's a thread around here on installing Debian GNU/Linux on the Kobo and turning it into a sort of GNU/Linux tablet.
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Others have mentioned trying to use Xcsoar on Kobos, there is a Linux Xcsoar at the site.
http://www.xcsoar.org/hardware/
http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/kobo.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2CJ-oliy8
http://paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=57353

Google "kobo Bluetooth mod"

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote