Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
'Match Book to Library'

What is this, how does it function?

I couldn't find anything in the User Guide or the Forum so thanks for any info!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
From the change log for version 0.9.39:
Quote:
Allow manually marking a book in the calibre library as being on the device. To do so click the device icon in calibre, then right click on the book you want marked and choose 'Match book to library'. Once you are done marking all the books, right click the device icon and choose 'Update cached metadata'
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, i think....

so is there a way to just display books on the device without having to 'put' them in calibre (she asks kinda already knowing the answer)?

ETA: Nevermind...I found it while looking at the info in your post above

ty

Last edited by gabby98; 10-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
ok, i think....

so is there a way to just display books on the device without having to 'put' them in calibre (she asks kinda already knowing the answer)?
I confess that I don't understand the question, so what I write here may not have anything to do with what you are thinking.

When you connect a device to calibre, you automatically get at least two views, your library and from one to three views of your device. For sake of discussion lets assume that your device has only "main memory" and you see only one view for it.

The library view is the same as is always shown in calibre, showing the books in your library. When a device is connected you also get a column "On device" that has a check mark in it if the book is on the currently connected device.

The device view shows the books on your device. It has a column "In library" that has a check mark in it if the book is in your library.

Books on the device that are not in your library do not have a checkmark in either view. There is no requirement that a book on your device be in your calibre library, or vice versa. As such, you can "display books on the device without having to 'put' them in calibre". They are displayed in the device view but they won't have check marks.

Calibre matches books on the device using several criteria, including title and authors. By "match" I mean detecting that a book on the device is the same as a book in the library, deserving of having check marks. Sometimes the metadata for the book on the device is sufficiently different from the metadata for the book in the library that calibre does not know that they are the same book. The "Match books" function lets you correct that situation; lets you tell calibre that a book on the device really is the same as a book in your library even though the title or the author(s) appear to be different.

Last edited by chaley; 10-11-2013 at 05:05 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
gabby98
Wizard

thanks...between your two posts, and a little poking around, I got what I was looking for.

Advert
Old 08-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
turelur
turelur began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Match Book to Library - Updating Cached Metadata Not Working

Hi there. I have posted different questions in the appropriate (I hope!) sections of this forum, but they are probably connected. Up until the day before yesterday I was able to match the books on my Kindle Paperwhite to books in my Calibre library and thus use the Annotations plugin to store my annotations within the mobi metadata. Now, it seems Calibre can no longer write the metadata update to the files on the Kindle. This is the debug log:

2014-08-17 18:53:26.609 calibre-debug[52020:507] modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:
2014-08-17 18:53:37.038 Calibre[52844:507] deliverNotificationWithTitle()
* Notification delivered.
2014-08-17 18:53:59.792 calibre-debug[52020:507] modalSession has been exited prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:
calibre Debug log
calibre 1.48 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-13.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '13.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Tue Jun 3 21:27:35 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.110.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.9.4', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
DEBUG: 0.0 Error loading QT5: No module named PyQt5.Qt
DEBUG: 0.0 Error loading QT5: No module named PyQt5
DEBUG: 0.0 Error loading QT5: No module named PyQt5.QtCore
Started up in 5.18 seconds with 195 books
Job: 1 Get device information started
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 1 Get device information callback returned
Job: 2 Get list of books on device started
DEBUG: 14.6 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= None
DEBUG: 14.6 USBMS: dirs are: /Volumes/Kindle 1/ documents
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: scan from root False /Volumes/Kindle 1/documents
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: count found in cache: 54, count of files in metadata: 54, need_sync: False
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: Finished fetching list of books from device. oncard= None
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= carda
DEBUG: 14.7 USBMS: Fetching list of books from device. Device= KINDLE2 oncard= cardb
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 54
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.00863194465637
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device callback returned
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 54
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.108782052994
Job: 3 Send metadata to device started
DEBUG: 42.9 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 42.9 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DeviceJob: 3 Send metadata to device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: 3 Send metadata to device callback returned
Job: 3 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.

I have reset the device, but the problem persists.

Any ideas what might cause this? Any help appreciated!
turelur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hmm! QT5 (beta test version) specific code seems to have slipped in.
You could install the older 1.47 version for now
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by turelur View Post
Hi there. I have posted different questions in the appropriate (I hope!) sections of this forum, but they are probably connected. Up until the day before yesterday I was able to match the books on my Kindle Paperwhite to books in my Calibre library and thus use the Annotations plugin to store my annotations within the mobi metadata. Now, it seems Calibre can no longer write the metadata update to the files on the Kindle. This is the debug log:
<debug log deleted>

I have reset the device, but the problem persists.

Any ideas what might cause this? Any help appreciated!
You might want to check the latest version of the Annotation plugin -- I think it is up to 1.42 which should work with either the QT5 or QT4 versions of Calibre.

You might have to manually download and install -- check the first message in the Annotations thread under Plugins https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241206 where the latest version is maintained.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
turelur

Thank you so much, David! I'll try that first thing tomorrow (it's night time in Europe...)
Old 08-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
turelur

Quote:
Thank you so much, David! I'll try that first thing tomorrow (it's night time in Europe...)
And I should have said: Thank you so much, theducks, too!

Heck, I couldn't wait and got up again. But neither suggestions did the trick.

@DNSB: I have version 1.42 of the Annotations plugin.

@theducks: Downgraded to 1.47 of Calibre.

So when I hit "Fetch annotations from Kindle", Calibre tells me to match the books to the library first. When I try to do this and select the appropriate pair, in the device book list the book gets this blue icon reminding me to update the cached metadata. If I select this from the Device drop menu, this doesn't seem to work (I posted the debug log above), and the blue icon does not go away.
So it seems there is a problem with writing to the device, right? I have converted all ebooks from mobi to mobi again through Calibre and deleted the original mobis, just to be sure there is no DRM involved.

Do you have any other idea? I am getting desperate here – the Annotations plugin opened up a whole new world of possibilities for academic reading on my Kindle!

Thank you for your patience with a Forum - and Calibre - noob.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #11
turelur

Meanwhile, I have updated to Calibre 2.0.0, but the matching still doesn't work. It seems there is a writing restriction on the kindle side. David Forrester's Annotations plugin works fine now, but it does so without the books being properly matched. So the problem remains. I have access rights to read and write on the Kindle.

Are there any suggestions what the problem might be?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
turelur

Ok, so I have narrowed the problem down to SOME books, although they, too, are in MOBI format. I have posted that question in the Calibre/Library Management section though, so there is no need to continue discussing this here. Thank you for your time.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I have updated to Calibre 2.0.0, but the matching still doesn't work. It seems there is a writing restriction on the kindle side. David Forrester's Annotations plugin works fine now, but it does so without the books being properly matched. So the problem remains. I have access rights to read and write on the Kindle.

Are there any suggestions what the problem might be?