Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur: Professor Challenger Omnibus. v5. 10 Oct 2013

"Professor Challenger" is, of course, a much less well-known literary creation of Doyle's than Sherlock Holmes, but is still a worthy figure whose books deserve to be read. Challenger is the original bad-tempered professor, brilliant but completely lacking in "social skills". This omnibus contains all the novels and short stories Doyle wrote which feature Professor Challenger, as follows:

The Lost World

This is the one that everyone's heard of through its innumerable movie adaptations, but probably relatively few have read the book. The architypal story of heroic explorers discovering a lost land where dinosaurs still exist, etc etc. Much cliched, but this is the "original".

The Poison Belt

A novella featuring the same characters who appear in "The Lost World". Astronomers discover that the Earth is about to pass through a region of poisonous gas in space. Is this the end of the world? Professor Challenger to the rescue...

The Land of Mist

"Spiritualism" was hugely popular in Victorian times, and Doyle was very much influenced by it in many of his later works. This novel, again featuring Professor Challenger, has spiritualism as its basis. Lots of spooky goings on.

The Disintegration Machine

A short story, the title of which says it all!

When the World Screamed

Another long short story or short novella (take your pick). The final Professor Challenger story. I won't describe the plot, because it would be a "spoiler".

Enjoy!

EDIT: 24 Apr 08

Completely recreated the book with greatly improved layout and formatting. Added an illustration. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 20 Sep 08

MR user Jellby has very kindly supplied me with numerous corrections to both "The Lost World" and "The Land of Mist". Applied these and created a new version 3.

EDIT: 27 Sep 08

Wonderful new cover added thanks to Paul Durrant. Many thanks for this! Uploaded new v4.

EDIT: 10 Oct 13

Thoroughly revised and proof-read. Illustrations added to "The Lost World" and "The Poison Belt". Numerous formatting improvements and many errors fixed. I would now regard this as a finished product, so please let me know if you find even the smallest error in it. Version 5 uploaded.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Professor Challenger Omnibus.epub (2.14 MB, 1424 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 10-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Harry
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Thank you.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Thanks, remember reading some of these years ago in paper, back when I could still see normal print. Wonderful to have them again in a format my tablet -- and eyes -- can handle. :-)
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad, iPad mini, iPhone
Nice book, Harry.

Didn't know about Professor Challenger by Doyle after all these years of reading Sherlock Holmes until I discovered this book here a few days ago. Thanks!

It would be nice to have a two-level Table of Contents, with the chapters of each story displaying at one level below its title for easier navigation.
sbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
I was perusing the code in Sigil, as I can't help but tweak any book I get, (at least to change the default font from Times) and was surprised to see it is apparently a Calibre conversion from a Kindle. I'd guess a KF7 mobi.
The styles are named calibre1, calibre2, etc, the files are
Professor_Ch-lenger_Omnibus_split_000.htm, etc.
-- the title page seems to have been split over two files/pages, probably because both title and author are a h2.

So how was this coded? Are there source HTML files, and are they available? I would like to try to compile them directly to epub if they are.

Last edited by AlanHK; 09-03-2018 at 02:15 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
So how was this coded? Are there source HTML files, and are they available? I would like to try to compile them directly to epub if they are.
I don't believe HarryT has made his source code available in the past. You'd likely need to kindleunpack and recreate your own epub.

But HarryT does a great job of proofreading and maintaining fixed versions so it's hard to see how that labour would be worthwhile.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I don't believe HarryT has made his source code available in the past. You'd likely need to kindleunpack and recreate your own epub.
That appears to be how this epub was made, thus the automatically synthesised and named styles.

Anyway, there are only about 15 styles so I'll work out what they do and rename them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
But HarryT does a great job of proofreading and maintaining fixed versions so it's hard to see how that labour would be worthwhile.
Not talking about the text, or redistributing a different version. Just revising the formatting to my own preference.
Such as removing the setting of font to "Times".
Which I can override, but prefer to fix in the code.

And as sbaylor noted above 2 years ago, the TOC only has only the books, not the chapters.

There are a few errors I noticed.

The title page in the epub for instance is split in two.
Also a few reversed quote marks.

Anyway, he hasn't responded, so I guess he isn't monitoring this thread.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
That appears to be how this epub was made, thus the automatically synthesised and named styles.
Most likely it was created by a text file from Project Gutenberg.

Quote:
And as sbaylor noted above 2 years ago, the TOC only has only the books, not the chapters.

The title page in the epub for instance is split in two.
Fixing what you noted may take 10 minutes in Calibre's editor, but someone put out a modified version back in May of 2009. Part of the changes were a 2 level TOC and fixed the title page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I was not aware of these. Thank you. How do you get it from computer to Kobo? I tried copying it from the download folder to the kepub folder but it doesn't show up. Then I had Calibre do 'convert books' on it and copied the result but still no show. I'm less than a week into Kobo Aura One ownership, and Calibre, so pretty clueless so far. Thanks for any and all help on this.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I'm less than a week into Kobo Aura One ownership, and Calibre, so pretty clueless so far. Thanks for any and all help on this.
Probably best to ask in the Calibre or Kobo forums. There are many Kobo add-on plugins for calibre that might help. But for the most part use calibre to send the books to your Kobo.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #12
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Most likely it was created by a text file from Project Gutenberg.
Ultimately. But I was talking about the epub in this thread, which is clearly a Calibre conversion of a mobi.
Ones from AZW/KF8 are usually easier to work with, retain original style names, takes me about 15 minutes to de-calibre them, but this must have been a KF7 and took a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Fixing what you noted may take 10 minutes in Calibre's editor, but someone put out a modified version back in May of 2009. Part of the changes were a 2 level TOC and fixed the title page.
So we just fork our own versions? OK, anyway, I've already fixed my version, typos, TOC, fonts and a few other things.

Another thing I found a bit odd was the lack of any acknowledgement of the cover artist in the book, or the sources for the text.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Ultimately. But I was talking about the epub in this thread, which is clearly a Calibre conversion of a mobi.
Here is a link to the mobi version. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12816

You can find links to the complete book list at the top right of this page.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/eb...&sort=dateline