Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Sony PRS-T3S without cover available for preorder in Germany

Some people didn't like the integrated cover that comes with the new Sony PRS-T3. At least in Germany a version without the cover will be available for 99 Euros called Sony Reader PRS-T3S.

These are the options now:
  • Sony PRS-T3 with integrated cover
  • Sony PRS-T3S without any cover
  • Sony PRSA-CL30 cover with light for Sony PRS-T3/S
The Reader and the cover are available in red, white or black.

Source: allesebook.de, ebook.de

medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This would be the model I'd be most interested in if they were selling the T3 in the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Does the T3S have a different back than the T3? The 2 German links don't say.

On GoodEreader, they showed a pretty jagged back on the T3 without a cover on - ouch!

I think this was the video, but don't have the patience to watch it again and it won't let me fast forward.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The reason why the back was jagged was because there was no back on. Any electronic device would look that way if the back was taken off. No one would ever read that way. The T3 with the normal back will be perfectly fine. It should have been released that way in the first place but, Sony.
Canuck_in_Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That was my question: will the T3S have a back cover, or is it just the T3 without any back cover at all.
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Yes, I want to know that, too! For 99 Euros, will we get at least a back cover with the T3S or are they forcing us to buy the cover with light then?
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess I was assuming it would be like the prototype one in the FCC pics...

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
donpapachino
donpapachino began at the beginning.

Device: none
well that's kind of fast. any pricing indication yet?
donpapachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
When you click on the link it says 99 Euros but that's for Germany I think. It seems there is nothing for other countries.

Last edited by alvina; 09-30-2013 at 11:34 PM.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
That was my question: will the T3S have a back cover, or is it just the T3 without any back cover at all.
I think we can be fairly confident that the unit is going to come with a back. That would be like selling a car without a roof!
Canuck_in_Japan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think we can be fairly confident that the unit is going to come with a back. That would be like selling a car without a roof!
Or an e-reader without front light in autumn 2013.

Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Here in Japan they will also be sold (from 4/10/2013) under the name of SONY PRS-T3S.
In three colors (black, red and white).

Device alone is 9980¥ which is roughly 99$
And lighted cover is sold separately in all three colors as well for 4,780¥ which is around 47$.
So TOTAL sum is ¥14,760 which is around 147$.

In comparison with amazon new paperwhite which is around 99$ or kobo glo which is around 79$ on rakuten or kobo mini which is 59$ (click here for more), I don't see Sony doing so good here either. In fact I remember reading here or somewhere else something along these lines of Sony having only 25.5% of the market in Japan. The rest goes to Kobo and Amazon.

I have to say though that in all my years of living here there is one thing I noticed. Most Japanese people read either on mobile phones (which have significantly larger screens than iphone for example, although there is a lot of people using iphone as a reader as well) or on these mini paperback editions. I rarely see anyone, and I do mean rarely, like 1-2 times a year, using any sort of dedicated reader.

Last edited by Geralt; 10-01-2013 at 03:42 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
PRS-T3s

I just received a mail from ebooks.de about the PRS-T3s with description, available within 1 or 2 weeks.
http://www.ebook.de/de/product/21504...ion_weiss.html.

I don't think they could sell it without a back cover - surely it would infringe electronic product norms. Also with only 40g difference, it could represent only the front part of the PRS-T3.

Last edited by anacreon; 10-01-2013 at 04:40 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I just received a mail from ebooks.de about the PRS-T3s with description, available within 1 or 2 weeks.
http://www.ebook.de/de/product/21504...ion_weiss.html.

I don't think they could sell it without a back cover - surely it would infringe electronic product norms. Also with only 40g difference, it could represent only the front part of the PRS-T3.
Oooh, I see, S is for "special edition" - special because it does not come with a cover - way to spin it!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #15
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Seriously, how's that for a pretty screwed up launch communication... Their communication manager should be shown the door.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote