Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
K-Glo. Firmware which has quick access to light ?

I'm trying to determine which is the most recent firmware for the Glo which has retained the quick access button for the light in the bottom left of the menu screen ?.

Many thanks.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
I'm trying to determine which is the most recent firmware for the Glo which has retained the quick access button for the light in the bottom left of the menu screen ?.

Many thanks.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thank you.

I followed the manual install instructions.

Is it normal for the firmware update process to take a long time to complete ?, The small squares have been running for 20 minutes.

Does the size of the library influence the duration of the firmware update ?.

edit:

After the manual installation of 2.5.2 the squares went around and around for 1.5 hours, I did a soft reset, squares went around and around, did a hard reset and the squares go around and around.

Now before I take a hammer to the thing, is there anything else I can try to get it to respond ?

Last edited by leftright; 10-01-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which instructions did you follow? The procedure for downgrading to an older firmware version is different to the one for upgrading to a newer version.

(I think to downgrade from 2.6.x or later to 2.5.x or earlier you will need to do a factory reset first, then upgrade from the factory firmware to version 2.5.x, without loading 2.6.x/2.8.x inbetween.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
leftright
Addict

thanks for your reply.
I managed to restore my Glo and I'm not going to try and downgrade the firmware as the instructions are not clear and I really don't want to "brick" my unit just because I'm unhappy with the implementation of features within the UI.

This is how I restored my Glo after the WSOD (White Screen Of Death) which occurred during a manual install of a earlier firmware.

Do a Soft reset whilst the squares are going around and around.
Screen should now be white.
whilst screen is white (non active), connect Glo to PC (kobo desktop inactive).
switch unit on again.
follow the reset prompts.

No hammer needed.

I'm utterly disgusted at the lack of information on Kobo's web site regarding hard resets and restoring options, and as for their desktop software, they can put that where the sun doesn't shine as it is useless at restoring.

Why doesn't Kobo desktop give the user the option to downgrade the firmware if he she so desires ?, new firmware isn't always better from a UI perspective.

Last edited by leftright; 10-01-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
leftright
Addict

My current sleep screen is different to the previous with the same version of firmware installed, v2.8.1

Is the correct sleep screen for v2.8.1 the one that displays "Sleeping" and "Battery %" as headers for the screen ?.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftright View Post
My current sleep screen is different to the previous with the same version of firmware installed, v2.8.1

Is the correct sleep screen for v2.8.1 the one that displays "Sleeping" and "Battery %" as headers for the screen ?.
My sleep screen with 2.8.1 on a AURA HD has sleeping on top, then book cover (I chose not to have the cover full page) and then at the bottom it's the % read and how many hours left for that book. (but maybe it's a difference between aura/glo).
glos is offline   Reply With Quote