Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
buralex
buralex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to behold

Device: KOBO GLO
KOBO shelf --> Calibre

I've got myShelves being loaded from Calibre to KOBO working great. Thanks for the very clear instructions but need to go the other way.
i.e. if I've assigned shelves on my KOBO can I update Calibre with shelf changes made on it?

All books initially assigned (from Calibre) to "notRead-Shelf"
As I read them on KOBO I change shelf from "notRead-Shelf" to "Read-shelf"
This makes it easier to find books not yet read.

Problem: The "Manage" button on lower right stopped working and KOBO support told me to try a Factory Reset (which clears all ebooks) making it necessary to reload from my Calibre library but want to set shelf in Calibre to match current shelves on KOBO before reloading.

If that can't be done automagically can anyone tell me if currently assigned shelf/shelves on KOBO is hidden anywhere in the folders/files visible in Windows Explorer?

I was hoping it might be in one of the subfolders by author in Digital Editions (Annotations and Manifest - containing XML files) but no joy. The other possibility seems to be one of the sub-folders of .kobo though that all seem to be binary data. I did recognize in some of them some ascii text that appears to be names of shelves but no (obvious) way to figure out which titles have which shelves.

Last edited by buralex; 09-26-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
buralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's unfortunately one way; from calibre to Kobo.

The actual info is stored within the Kobo database in two tables; Shelf and ShelfContent.

Shelf lists the shelves that exist (column Name contains the actual name of the shelf), and ShelfContent what is on all the shelves (ShelfName the shelf in question, and ContentID the file name of the book on the shelf).

On thing worth knowing though is that it's fairly simple using calibre to automate the creation of a "Finished" shelf via retrieval of the reading % of the books via the Kobo Utilities plugin (and additionally one step of doing that is to retrieve the reading status of all books, which can then be restored afterwards.)

Last edited by PeterT; 09-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Wouldn't doing a sync (with Kobo) solve the problem? Sync, factory reset, sync, and all the shelves would be back?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Kobo server does not sync the non-Kobo (non-kepub) books on shelves.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The shelf names are synced along with any Kobo purchased kEpubs on them.
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Would replicating the shelves in Calibre with the books not achieve the result desired?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
buralex
buralex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to beholdburalex is a marvel to behold

Device: KOBO GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's unfortunately one way; from calibre to Kobo.

The actual info is stored within the Kobo database in two tables; Shelf and ShelfContent.

Shelf lists the shelves that exist (column Name contains the actual name of the shelf), and ShelfContent what is on all the shelves (ShelfName the shelf in question, and ContentID the file name of the book on the shelf).
Thanks Peter. Am I correct that the data base(s) are the <random number> files in ...\.kobo\kepub ? Are these standard SQL or MYSQL so that I could look inside with some tool (bonus points if you can tell me which )
Quote:
On thing worth knowing though is that it's fairly simple using calibre to automate the creation of a "Finished" shelf via retrieval of the reading % of the books via the Kobo Utilities plugin (and additionally one step of doing that is to retrieve the reading status of all books, which can then be restored afterwards.)
I'l check that out. Thanks for the pointer.
buralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Its the .kobo/KoboReader.sqlote file which yoiu can access with any tool that handles sqlote.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The files with random numbers are the kEpubs format books from lobo.