Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be buying a Kindle Fire HDX this year?
I have a Kindle Fire and will be buying a Fire HDX 2 3.03%
I have a Kindle Fire HD and will be buying a Fire HDX 5 7.58%
I have a Nexus and will be buying a Fire HDX 1 1.52%
I have an iPad and will be buying a Fire HDX 0 0%
I have something else (or no tablet at all) and will be buying a Fire HDX 1 1.52%
I have a Kindle Fire and will not be buying a Fire HDX 8 12.12%
I have a Kindle Fire HD and will not be buying a Fire HDX 15 22.73%
I have a Nexus and will not be buying a Fire HDX 11 16.67%
I have an iPad and will not be buying a Fire HDX 9 13.64%
I have something else (or no tablet at all) and will not be buying a Fire HDX 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Gen 3 Kindle Fires

With the arrival of the next generation of Kindle Fires, I wonder if Amazon has established itself as a tablet brand. I also wonder if Amazon is retaining their existing tablet customers. I have created this poll to get a sense of brand loyalty.

Last edited by wizwor; 09-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have an iPad and a Nexus 7, and will not be getting a Fire.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have the KFHD 7 inch and a Nexus 7 (2013). I think I'm good for a while.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have the KFHD 7 inch and a Nexus 7 (2013). I think I'm good for a while.
Same here. I voted "have Nexus and not buying HDX". The Nexus is my primary tablet and the FHD is my secondary tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I also wonder if Amazon is retaining their existing tablet customers. I have created this poll to get a sense of brand loyalty.
If I only had a FHD 7 and was looking to upgrade to a higher resolution device, I'd get a Nexus 7. I'm quite miffed that Amazon is only allowing the new Fires to get Fire OS 3. They're screwing over their existing FHD customers and that's not good for brand loyalty.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They're screwing over their existing FHD customers and that's not good for brand loyalty.
Along those lines, I have the first gen Fire and it's buggy and clunky, the worst gadget in the reader and tablet line I've owned. I doubt I'd buy another Kindle of any type.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Along those lines, I have the first gen Fire and it's buggy and clunky, the worst gadget in the reader and tablet line I've owned. I doubt I'd buy another Kindle of any type.
Wow. My experience had been the exact opposite. I had a first gen Fire, was quite impressed with the screen and performance (after rooting and installing an alternate launcher). I then upgraded to the HD, and delighted with THAT.

Having said that, I won't be upgrading to the HDX since the OS has further diverged from Android, causing me to think that there will be less compatibility between standard Android apps and frameworks (like Google Play) and the HDX.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've never even seen a kindle fire. Strangely enough a guy was asking me this very morning if I thought he should get one.

"Duh! I dunnoh" I replied.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I have a kf hd7 and will not be upgrading. For what i do with my tablet, there is no reason. I'll probably upgrade next gen if Amazon releases cheap versions of this gen.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
As an alternative, there is a 1st Gen Kindle Fire up for sale for $90 on Woot right now. It's a Woot-off so the sale may only last a few minutes (US only... Refurb).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I have a kf hd7 and will not be upgrading. For what i do with my tablet, there is no reason. I'll probably upgrade next gen if Amazon releases cheap versions of this gen.
That's another poll. This one is just to see who is getting this new Fire soon.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd buy the Fire HDX, but money is tight right now, so I'll keep using my Fire HD. I'm actually quite happy with it as is. Yes, I'd like the better screen and lighter weight, but I'll hold off for now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have a 1gen Fire which I never use, and am undecided about Fire HDX, which is better than I expected. I'm leaning to getting an iPad Mini 2 (retina), or at least what I imagine it will be.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I have a Fire HD and I almost never use it. It is too heavy to read on comfortably and I even mind the weight carrying it around. I find I don't like the touch screen either. I keep selecting things when I only meant to magnify the screen or scroll. If I enlarge the screen and go to another page I have to magnify it again, annoying. And the screen is way to small for me to enjoy videos after being used to my large screen computer (I also dislike my notebook for the same reason). Some YouTube instructional videos are so small I can't see the text of what they are demoing on their computer screen. I guess I'm just not a tablet person. I bought the Fire to try it out but I doubt I'll ever buy another tablet from any vendor.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I consider Kindle Fires to be closed, dedicated devices used to deliver Amazon content. Since the bulk of my app/movie/tv/music/book purchases are outside of Amazon, I have no intention of getting any form of it for myself.

THAT said, because I DO consider them to be limited in what they provide, during a recent sale I bought one (7" HD, 16GB, refurbished) for each of my kids for their upcoming birthdays. There is enough content to keep them happy, the semi-closed ecosystem means that most apps with work without difficulty, and they were relatively inexpensive (a LeapPad 2 is $100 and a Nintendo 3DSXL is $180 -- the cost of these Fire HDs fell in between.)

Peronally, I have two iPads (1st and 3rd gen) and a NOOK HD+. Although I have the Kobo app installed on the HD+ -- the only app I added outside of what came pre-installed -- I did buy it with the idea that I could use it as an Android tablet for myself. It just happens to be that I *really* like reading on it and I end up continuing my book every time I pick it up, instead of installing *any* apps.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote