Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
elewton
elewton began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Most hackable e-Ink device?

I scanned the last couple of months of posts and no subjects jumped out at me. Hope I'm not posting a dupe.

If one is completely uninterested in the online services (my college and google give me all the PDFs and HTML I'll ever want to read), what is the eBook that most resembles a little computer with a cool screen?

It would have to act as a USB master, so one can use WiFi, Bluetooth and IR dongles, and their associated keyboards.

There seems to be a lot of work going on in the 505 forum, but Sony is not famous for being hack-friendly.

In short, is there anything that allows you access to the root prompt and has compiling tool available.

Sorry if this is demanding. I just found out about these recently and am unused to proprietary devices!
elewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex iLiad is the only device which is as you describe. People have ported all sorts of different applications to it.

Wouldn't you be better off with a notebook running Linux, though, if programming is your main interest?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
elewton
elewton began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Thanks. It's a pity. It's so damn expensive. I've been programming and reading a lot recently, and my eyes have really started to complain.

One interesting idea I came across was using a Librie connected to a USB-Master phone which acts as WiFi and Bluetooth modem.
elewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iRex iLiad is the only device which is as you describe. People have ported all sorts of different applications to it.

Wouldn't you be better off with a notebook running Linux, though, if programming is your main interest?
Recently there has been quite a bit of effort in programming on the Hanlin devices. There is a open source Linux version nearly available and folks have added FB reader to the regular version. I would say it is the second most hackable device out there currently.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks Dale - I didn't know that. Useful to know!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert