Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
maxwelledison
maxwelledison began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre freezes whenever I click on the Edit Metadata button

HI all,

my calibre database became corrupt so I am rebuilding it. How long does it typically take? I have 17000 books and it has been rebuilding for the last 24 hours and is at 90% right now.
maxwelledison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelledison View Post
HI all,

my calibre database became corrupt so I am rebuilding it. How long does it typically take? I have 17000 books and it has been rebuilding for the last 24 hours and is at 90% right now.
The serious answer:
Till it is done or crashes.

There is no other rule. If it is still grinding away, let it run.

17K is a lot of books to be examined and added to the DB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
HI all,

17000 ?? Every time I see one of these huge numbers, I don't feel too bad about my 2000+. Were does one find 17000 ebooks?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
17000 ?? Every time I see one of these huge numbers, I don't feel too bad about my 2000+. Were does one find 17000 ebooks?
Usenet. (Newsgroups.)

Gutenberg, if you take the time to download.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
maxwelledison
maxwelledison began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I had 9000 paper books at one time but my wife didn't like the piles of books everywhere so I had to get rid of them (still have about 2000 hardcovers!). I have been able to replace most of them with ebooks, and of course acquired new ones along the way as well, hence up to 17000 now.
Anyway, it took over 30 hours to rebuild the database, and when it was complete, the problem still exists. Whenever I click on the Edit Metadata button, Calibre freezes completely. What should I do?
maxwelledison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Anyway, it took over 30 hours to rebuild the database, and when it was complete, the problem still exists.
You said the problem was a corrupt database.

Quote:
Whenever I click on the Edit Metadata button, Calibre freezes completely. What should I do?
First thing you should have done is start a new thread describing your problem instead of adding your problem to a year old. I moved these posts to your own thread so it gets the attention required.

How long does it freeze?

Does it freeze if you select a group then click edit metadata or only when selecting one book for edit metadata?

It sounds like a case of a missing second monitor where the dialog is opening where you can't see it. Review this section of the FAQ and see if anything helps.

Update:
Apparently you decided to abandon this thread and create a second thread on the same problem. Thanks for allowing me to waste my time responding here when you most likely already were given proper advice by chaley in the other thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-14-2013 at 07:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote