Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
ozshots
ozshots began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Extra spaces in AZW3 format on Kindle

Hi,
I am embedding font in AZW3 format for correct presentation on Kindle.

It nearly works; looks perfectly fine on Calibre e-book viewer but renders with extra spaces on Kindle Paperwhite and older Kindle.

See attached first line, second word: "kahwha:" vs "kahw ha:"
More examples below if you look carefully at screenshots.
The font itself renders just fine.

AZW3 file is attached together with screenshots. What I'm doing wrong?

PS I've tried couple of other fonts and result is exactly the same.
Thanks a lot for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ucs viewer.png
Views:	415
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	110891   Click image for larger version

Name:	usc kindle screenshot.png
Views:	404
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	110892  
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 113.azw3 (94.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: rtf 04_tri_kanona_kanon-pokajannyj.rtf (304.2 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by ozshots; 09-12-2013 at 07:01 AM.
ozshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The problem appears to be be that your source files are not fully Unicode encoded and the embedded font most likely also uses a non-standard encoding.
Can you post the actual .html or text source files and the (Slavonic?) encoding scheme that you used?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Calibre ebook viewer is really an epub viewer. This means that if you ask Calibre to view an azw3 book it under-the-cover converts it to epub and then displays the results. This means it may not accurately reflect what the real devices will do.

To get a more accurate representation of how it will look on a real Kindle device you should use the Amazon Kindle previewer app.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
ozshots

Hi,
I tried Kindle viewer and it looks fine - attached.

I've also attached a text version of input RTF. If you apply correct font, it looks fine on all viewers.

The problem as you've pointed is encoding. This is old Slavonic text; there are plenty of websites and they all only displayed correctly if you have the right fonts installed. They are compartible with each other.

Easiest format to read is PDF with embedded fonts; it always looks right on all devices.
I'm really keen to use native Kindle format instead of PDF...

Some encoding symbols can be seen here, I have not find a better explanantion of this encoding.
http://www.fonts2u.com/orthodoxtt-ucs8.font

Thanks a lot for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kindle viewer.png
Views:	334
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	110919  
Attached Files
File Type: txt 3 kanona.txt (25.9 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozshots View Post
I tried Kindle viewer and it looks fine - attached.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything. Kindle Previewer uses the Webkit engine and behaves like a web browser.

Quote:
I've also attached a text version of input RTF. If you apply correct font, it looks fine on all viewers.
Unfortunately, the text displays as garbage in Unicode viewers, because it's not Unicode encoded.

Quote:
I'm really keen to use native Kindle format instead of PDF...
I'm afraid that won't be possible because of a bug in the Kindle rendering engine. I just did a quick test with a Unicode version and an Unicode font and noticed the same issue even though I embedded a Unicode font (the default code2000 fallback font behaves the same). Apparently the rendering engine cannot handle Cyrillic letters followed by the Unicode character U+0484 COMBINING CYRILLIC PALATALIZATION and adds a space after it.

For example, the second word in the first line, канѡ҄на (kanyona?), contains U+0461 (omega) followed by U+0484 (palatalization), which the Kindle cannot handle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K3 RomanUnicodeStd.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	110930  

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-13-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
ozshots

Thanks a lot for your help guys...

It is very disappointing to see Kindle as the only e-book on the market not supporting Slavonic due to defective software.
I will write to Kindle support about this.

If Amazon choses not to support epub, at least home grown alternative should work properly!