Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Kobo Glo - Series Info From Calibre to Kobo

Greetings,

Sometime ago, I found a post about adding series info to my books that now appears on screen when uploaded to the Glo.

In the library view on the Kobo, it returns...

"Series - Number - Title" (then under that in smaller letters it shows "Series - number".

Now I've found this regex thingee under the metadata plugboard and it has this in the field..

"{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}"

I would like to remove the "series - number" part of the first piece (Larger sized letters)

and then just have the "title" in the 1st line but with the series part still shown underneath in smaller letters (the 2nd line). This will probably only make sense to Kobo people.

I'm running 2.8.1 firmware.

So...do I have to switch around the regex thingee, or remove it and go back to standard? I don't know how to figure regex part.

Appreciate the help.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Just to check what you currently have:

You are using the metadata plugin so that that your books on you Kobo Glo have the series info in the title of the book.

You now want to move to just title and just have the Glo show the series info in the list.

If that is correct, then you need to:

- In the device driver configuration, make sure the "Set series information" option is selected.
- Remove the metadata plugboard.

After this, on the next connection to the Glo, calibre will set the series info on the device for all books already on the device. And when you send a new book to the device, the title won't be altered.

To fix the title for the books already on the device, you will need to use my Kobo Utilities plugin to fix the titles. After installing the plugin, select the books that need to have their title fixed and use the "Update the metadata in device library" to set this and any other metadata that you need to change.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My plugboard puts the series info at the end of authors
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s} destination authors

This also gives me a sort by series when I sort by author.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to check what you currently have:

You are using the metadata plugin so that that your books on you Kobo Glo have the series info in the title of the book.

You now want to move to just title and just have the Glo show the series info in the list.

If that is correct, then you need to:

- In the device driver configuration, make sure the "Set series information" option is selected.
- Remove the metadata plugboard.

After this, on the next connection to the Glo, calibre will set the series info on the device for all books already on the device. And when you send a new book to the device, the title won't be altered.

To fix the title for the books already on the device, you will need to use my Kobo Utilities plugin to fix the titles. After installing the plugin, select the books that need to have their title fixed and use the "Update the metadata in device library" to set this and any other metadata that you need to change.
Thx David. This sounds as though it is what I'm looking for. It's been quite a while since I set things up, that I've forgotten what I did - so changing it is that much harder.

And thx also for the info on how to update the the books already on the device. I forgot to ask that question. I've used your plugin before, so I'll have to re-familiarise myself with it.

The help is most appreciated.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My plugboard puts the series info at the end of authors
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s} destination authors

This also gives me a sort by series when I sort by author.

Helen
This sounds intriguing. Do I have to setup a new plug-board for this, or can I just stick this regex into the existing one somehow. I get a better understanding of how things works when I have a go . Thx for the input
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can do this in your current plugboard. Each plugboard allow you to change several fields. Select the plugboard, put the template in an empty field in the list and select the "author" field in the matching destination dropdown. Then remember to press the "Save plugboard" button. I don't know how many times I've missed that step
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Chris_Snow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can do this in your current plugboard. Each plugboard allow you to change several fields. Select the plugboard, put the template in an empty field in the list and select the "author" field in the matching destination dropdown. Then remember to press the "Save plugboard" button. I don't know how many times I've missed that step
Thx for the input. I carried out the steps you directed above and got the Kobo to look like I wanted. Thx muchly for this.

It would all be that much more simple if Kobo gave us the ability to sort by Series. Maybe in the next firmware update??

Actually, I don't think there is much more I'd like to see on the Kobo. I haven't read that thread, but I guess there's probably lots of things I haven't considered.

I'd like the book count back (the total number of books on the device)

And...I'd like to see a zoom function - great for those maps at the beginning of those fantasy novels.

I think I'd also like the ability to list authors as a single listing and then each book they have written nested under that listing.

Most of this stuff doesn't do much for the reading part, and I've sure been doing a lot of that . They could fix that long paragraph bug though.

Thx again for the help.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Thx for the input. I carried out the steps you directed above and got the Kobo to look like I wanted. Thx muchly for this.

It would all be that much more simple if Kobo gave us the ability to sort by Series. Maybe in the next firmware update??
That is a popular request. Unfortunately, Kobo aren't hurrying to add it and it won't be in the next update.
Quote:
Actually, I don't think there is much more I'd like to see on the Kobo. I haven't read that thread, but I guess there's probably lots of things I haven't considered.

I'd like the book count back (the total number of books on the device)

And...I'd like to see a zoom function - great for those maps at the beginning of those fantasy novels.
If you are reading kepubs, there is zoom available for some images.
Quote:
I think I'd also like the ability to list authors as a single listing and then each book they have written nested under that listing.
Yes, an author list and a series list that are similar to the shelves list. They would do a lot to improve things when browsing the library.
Quote:
Most of this stuff doesn't do much for the reading part, and I've sure been doing a lot of that . They could fix that long paragraph bug though.
Different bugs affect people differently. Personally, I don't care about the long paragraph bug. I think I have hit it only three or four books that I have read. And only one of them had it in more than one place. But, it seems some people see it in all the time.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
Ollybeak
Ollybeak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
A thousand thanks to all who contributed this wisdom. Even I, a digital Luddite, managed to make my Kobo show series information. Brilliant.
Ollybeak is offline   Reply With Quote