Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
k4pc - use "foreign" amazon shop

Hello,

is there a way to configure to which of the amazon shops Kindle for PC (K4PC) connects? I would like it to connect to amazon.co.uk but it connects to amazon.de.

Thanks, cu Andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
No there isn't, since you're from Austria you're automatically linked to the store where you are allowed to buy kindle books.

I live in The Netherlands and I'm automatically linked to the US shop since that's the only place I'm allowed to buy kindle books. I can't buy kindle books from the UK or Germany.

Maybe there is a way around this but it's probably against Amazon policy.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I think it has to do with the country in which your credit card is registered.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
You can easily change your country settings for your Amazon account on amazon.de to a UK address, if you so wish, but it's an all or nothing approach: you can't just have K4PC connect to the UK store and, for instance, your Android Kindle app to the DE store, unless you have them on different Amazon accounts.

Go to:
Mein Konto > Mein Kindle > Laendereinstellungen
It will show you what store you are currently connected to and let you change it to any other store.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
... you're automatically linked to the store where you are allowed to buy kindle books.
That's not quite right.

In the case of Kindle for PC, you can only register in the country from which you downloaded the software. So, if you download the Kindle for PC app from Amazon.com, when you go to the Registration dialogue, you will only be able to register the app to a US account. Similarly, if you download from Amazon.co.uk, you can only register to a UK account.

The point is that each national Kindle store only has the version of the app which is specific to that store and that country.

Whether or not you are allowed to buy books from a particular country's store depends on the geographical restrictions that the publisher placed on the book. It has got nothing to do with the Kindle for PC software.

I know this is true because I routinely purchase books from both the US and the UK. I have two computers, each with a different country's version of the app, and I can only read books from a given country on the relevant computer.

There is nothing obvious in the program's interface that tells you which country it belongs to.

For more information on this, see http://hexcentral.blogspot.co.uk/201...pc-app-in.html (especially the visitor's comments).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ Interesting, I always though that your country is driven by waht you select in your Manage my kindle area.
I learned something new today - karma to you!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
That's not quite right.

In the case of Kindle for PC, you can only register in the country from which you downloaded the software. So, if you download the Kindle for PC app from Amazon.com, when you go to the Registration dialogue, you will only be able to register the app to a US account. Similarly, if you download from Amazon.co.uk, you can only register to a UK account.
[...]
That is definitely not correct (anymore), I downloaded from co.uk and was sent to .de. And I have just doublechecked, de com and .co.uk all have the save download URL http://kindleforpc.amazon.com/40500/...-installer.exe
cu Andreas

PS: [EDIT] I am talking about the XP/Vista/7 version, not Win8.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
That is definitely not correct (anymore), I downloaded from co.uk and was sent to .de. And I have just doublechecked, de com and .co.uk all have the save download URL http://kindleforpc.amazon.com/40500/...-installer.exe
Well, if that's correct, it must have changed very recently. It was only a couple of months ago that I downloaded a version from the US, and it definitely only accepted a registration to my US account, not my UK or France accounts.

I agree that the US and UK versions look absolutely identical, even to the point that, in both cases, the Registration screen says that it is "registered to the Amazon.com user shown below" (my emphasis).

Quote:
I am talking about the XP/Vista/7 version, not Win8.
Yes, I was also referring to XP. But my Windows 8 version also only accepted my US account, presumably because it was pre-installed on the machine, which I purchased in the US.

To further verify this, I would like to download the French and German versions, but you can only install one version on a given computer (unless that's also changed recently), I don't have any spare computers to try them on.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc