Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
An easier way to disable auto-updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install KUAL
Install the BackDoorLock button.

That sounds to me like the best choice for your needs.
I got a new way to disable auto-updates without using the backdoor.
It's very easy,just two step!

Here is the step:
1.delete the file just like 'update.bin.tmp.partial' or 'update.bin' at the root of the Kindle
2.Copy the file 'update.bin.tmp.partial' to the root of the Kindle.

I have try it!
It is going well!
You can get the file 'update.bin.tmp.partial' from the Attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: rar update.bin.tmp.partial.rar (81 Bytes, 1279 views)
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richy1989 View Post
I got a new way to disable auto-updates without using the backdoor.
It's very easy,just two step!

Here is the step:
1.delete the file just like 'update.bin.tmp.partial' or 'update.bin' at the root of the Kindle
2.Copy the file 'update.bin.tmp.partial' to the root of the Kindle.

I have try it!
It is going well!
You can get the file 'update.bin.tmp.partial' from the Attachment.
The firmware 5.6.x series can over-ride this protection!!

Ah, let me see if I understand what you are doing:

1) Remove any FILE named 'update.bin.tmp.partial' in the root of the visible USB storage area.

2) Create a DIRECTORY of the same name: 'update.bin.tmp.partial' in the root of the visible USB storage area.

Your presumption being that the update download continuation code can not recover from that change (since to remove a directory under *nix is a different command than to remove a file).

Is the above a correct description?

PS: Use of proprietary compressed archives is discourage here. Please post as either zip or tar/gzip in the attachments.

Last edited by knc1; 03-11-2015 at 08:53 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Smile

Quote:

1) Remove any FILE named 'update.bin.tmp.partial' in the root of the visible USB storage area.

2) Create a DIRECTORY of the same name: 'update.bin.tmp.partial' in the root of the visible USB storage area.

Your presumption being that the update download continuation code can not recover from that change (since to remove a directory under *nix is a different command than to remove a file).

Is the above a correct description?

PS: Use of proprietary compressed archives is discourage here. Please post as either zip or tar/gzip in the attachments.
I am from China,
I can't speak English well.
So I show it by the picture.
Wish you can understand what I did!

(The picture)
Spoiler:
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

duh, what picture?
please try to post it again.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
richy1989
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
duh, what picture?
please try to post it again.
Can you see it?
In the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1204111331628cc129833d5bd0.png
Views:	2877
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	109297  
Advert
Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Can you see it?
In the attachment.
yes, thanks.

You did as I described.
(Try running my post through a translator, like google translate).

I am glad that you thought of this.

Similar things have been done in the past for other Amazon "features".
I do not know why we didn't think of this before.

Nice job.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
richy1989
Connoisseur

I used the 'Backdoor' before,
but now I use this way to prevent my Kindle from 5.3.5 update to 5.3.6.
It goes well in a faster way!

When you want to enable the update
you just only to delete the file 'update.bin.tmp.partial'.

That's all!

Thank you,knc1.
I think I have got a new friend here!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
richy1989
Connoisseur

By the way,
Could you help me to solve this problem?
It's here

I tried so many times but it failed.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
By the way,
Could you help me to solve this problem?
It's here

I tried so many times but it failed.
The Kindle's indexer has been a source of problems in all models.

But no one has suggested a fix for it (yet).

- - - - -

Please start a new topic for each new subject.
The moderators here have done that for you twice now, but our moderators are also key developers.
They will get tired of doing that RSN.
So treat them nice, start a new topic thread yourself please.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
richy1989
Connoisseur

I am feel very sorry about this.
I will start a new topic by myself!

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:

Is the above a correct description?...
knc1, can you tell us what devices that will work for? I really don't want to have to re-install the few customizations I've added just to be able to use a Portuguese dictionary.

Last edited by SampleAndy; 08-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
errr.... from the list KPW, KFire HD, KT SO, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1

I would guess everything but the fire. hehehe.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
knc1, can you tell us what devices that will work for? I really don't want to have to re-install the few customizations I've added just to be able to use a Portuguese dictionary.
There are two update mechanisms and one of the differences is the capitalization of the update files.
Since this is a FAT file system, I don't know off-hand if the temporary file used is also different.

I have made this setting on a K2, Wifi+3G with an out-of-date firmware version (2.5.2).
All I know at the moment is that it fails to register over 3G.

Which may or may not be related to making this change, too soon to say.

I would suggest that you use the Backdoor Lock (which has been tested) until this "trick" can be tested also.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
errr.... from the list KPW, KFire HD, KT SO, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1

I would guess everything but the fire. hehehe.
... That list sounds familiar...

PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2

OK, so you need a couple more, and I need a DX.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hahahaha

touche
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
update blocker