Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
rizzler
rizzler doesn't litterrizzler doesn't litter

Device: Sony prs-505
PRS-505 spotted in the UK wild

Hey guys,

Just found this when looking at 505 details for a friend.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...+Book+(Silver)

Will be great when we have a UK store so I dont need an american credit card. Im guessing there wont be any regional issues with english books on US device....

Rizz
rizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Interesting - "£199.99 Free Delivery" - "Due for release on 04/04/2008"

The "London Book Fair 2008" which was touted as it's possible arrival of on 14-16 April 2008.

Last edited by gwynevans; 03-15-2008 at 06:49 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Great first post, rizzler.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One minor error in the description: they say that the AC charger requires 120V AC. That's incorrect - it's a "universal" charger which will work happily with European 230V power.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One minor error in the description: they say that the AC charger requires 120V AC. That's incorrect - it's a "universal" charger which will work happily with European 230V power.
And the UK's 240V as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the UK's 240V as well.
No, the UK actually uses 230v electricity these days. It used to be the case, until a few years ago, that the UK and Ireland used 240v, and continental Europe used 220v, but then the European power market was "deregulated" and countries started selling electricity to one another, so everyone changed to using 230v.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Ah well, at least I didn't pay too much over the odds. Good to see that it is coming soon
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
Hi,

does this mean a soon and possible release in Europe or just UK?

I've just ordered a PRS-505 from the USA for Germany ...
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W.G View Post
Hi,

does this mean a soon and possible release in Europe or just UK?

I've just ordered a PRS-505 from the USA for Germany ...
"Unfortunately, we cannot delivery electronics, personal computers, gadgets, or mobile outside of the UK."

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
RayMorgan
RayMorgan began at the beginning.

Device: EB-1150
Thanks for the tip of guys, just preordered one from play. Im so Thrilled im wetting myself.
RayMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Hey, £199.99 is good news. I know some of you worried you were going to have to pay the same number of pounds as we would in dollars. The 505 currently sells for $299.99 at Sony.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Yep, an extra 50 quid buys a whole lot more consumer rights than the American purchase does, so I don't think there can be too many complaints about price. Although, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Sony were giving out a decent warranty/guarantee with US purchases as well?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Yep, an extra 50 quid buys a whole lot more consumer rights than the American purchase does, so I don't think there can be too many complaints about price. Although, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think Sony were giving out a decent warranty/guarantee with US purchases as well?
Except that I can get a 2 year accident replacement warranty for around 10% of the retail price. That would account for 15 of the 50 quid. The rest is lost to taxes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Yeah, but we're due to pay those anyway. Even if I was to buy one in the states and bring it back home I'd still have to declare it since it's slightly over the allowance.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
It's not £50 more than the US price; only about £24 more. The US price does not include any sales tax; the UK price is inclusive of VAT.