Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
lale-test
lale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterlale-test can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo mini
Wikipedia, new translation options, and many other tweaks to nickel

A few tips tested on the mini, (probably works on other kobos) that I have not seen reported yet?

Also a lot of new possibilities for others to test further, and please report back to this forum

Apart from the options already enter in the “kobo eReader.conf” file, according to the string found in libnickel library, a few more is possible to activate options in nickel not accessible from gui.

Under the section of:

[FeatureSettings]
• AllowDevConsole=true
Activates a new button at the end of the settings list. This button opens a page with 3 buttons, “fonts test”, “Activites” (empty, probably a log) and “save” (Report if your find out what it does).
• GestureKeyboard=true
When dragging your finger across the keyboard, a line is drawn. Probably like a swepe keyboard found on mobile phones, but without a T9-lookup this seems pointless. Report if your find out what it can be used for
• OnlineWikipedia=true
Wikipedia in kobobooks GREAT! When longpressing a word in a kobobook, using the dictionary menu, a new items give access to online lookup in Wikipedia. Needs wifi.
The whole reason I started to look in the binary libnickel was to find how to activate the libwikipedia.so library found in /usr/local/kobo/. - Now I just need to find a way to activate libcrossword
There is some strange things with the fonts in the Wikipedia dialog, when you do the second lookup, the fonts changes.
• PhraseTranslation=true
Like the Wikipedia, highlight a whole sentence in a kobobook, then use the dictionary menu to translate the whole sentence to another language. Uses online translation, so it needs wifi.
• TelnetConsole=
Unknown, does NOT enable a telnet login over wifi, somebody try if this work over usb
• BookSpecificStats=true
Enables more stats when pressing the % read in the lower left corner.
• FullBookPageNumbers=
Might be pagenumber for full book rather than for each chapter?
The rest of the options is not tested, please try them out, and report back if you find out what they are for.
Also please notice that I’m not exactly sure that they are listed under the correct section. (between brackets[]) So test them in other sections, if they do not seem to work in the ones listed below.

[Services]
• AbTestURL
• DictionaryUrl
• PeriodicSyncEnabled

[LibraryTabSettings]
• lastRecommendationPaletteWidth
• lastRecommendationViewIndex

[ReadingLife]
• MarketingMessages

[TasteQuizSettings]
• lastTasteQuizRatedCount
• lastTasteQuizInterestedCount
• lastTasteQuizNotInterestedCount
• lastTasteQuizItemsRated
• lastTasteQuizItemsShown
• tasteQuizEnabled

[FeatureSettings]
• TasteProfile
• SelectiveSync
• ReadingTimePerDay
• FullScreenBrowser
• TestSync
• Thesaurus

[ApplicationPreferences]
• ClockDisplayDuration
• ExtraLocales
• SyncAnimationSpeed
• NumMaxToasts
• SyncShelves
• ShowBrightnessToast
• QuickTourShown
• Debugging=true
WARNING this turns off sleep timeout, and burns battery.
• PromotionsAvailable

[Browser]
• SwipeDialogShown=true
Might have something to do with the Wikipedia dialog, its possible to “swipe” the dialog pages without using the small page arrows on the button
[ReadingLife]
• readingAdobeShowPageNumbers
• libraryShowCovers
• readingBGColor
• readingTextColor
• readingTheme

Listed below are some strings listed after readingTheme, might be different themes
• Kepub-book-theme-
• Sepia
• Night
Hey maybe “Night” is a reversed display like the night mode hack. Or the readingBGColor and readingTextColor above can be used for the same effect.

Happy hacking all
– kobo sure has a lot of easter eggs in this little gem of a ebook
lale-test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This is a mix of hidden options, options that are automatically set when you do something and options that are only on some of the devices. The latter are mainly for the Aura HD, but the Glo gets a few as well.

I have been playing with the "FeatureSettings" and a couple of the others for the last week or so. But, I am also running beta firmware, and hadn't checked which were new and which already existed. It appears that most have been there for a while. My testing is on an Touch (N905) and a Glo.

Note: Any experiments with the hidden options are at your own risk. There might be a good reason for Kobo not turning the function on. And "doesn't work properly" is the most likely reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lale-test View Post
Under the section of:

[FeatureSettings]
• AllowDevConsole=true
Activates a new button at the end of the settings list. This button opens a page with 3 buttons, “fonts test”, “Activites” (empty, probably a log) and “save” (Report if your find out what it does).
The "Activities" will clear the table "Activities". That doesn't do anything interesting on the Mini or Touch, but it resets the tiles on the Glo and Aura HD. There is also a checkbox on the beta firmware that explains the need for the "Save" button.

This also enables telnet. But, it might also prevent the device from automatically going to sleep
Quote:
• OnlineWikipedia=true
Wikipedia in kobobooks GREAT! When longpressing a word in a kobobook, using the dictionary menu, a new items give access to online lookup in Wikipedia. Needs wifi.
The whole reason I started to look in the binary libnickel was to find how to activate the libwikipedia.so library found in /usr/local/kobo/. - Now I just need to find a way to activate libcrossword
There is some strange things with the fonts in the Wikipedia dialog, when you do the second lookup, the fonts changes.
It works, but once you are there, you can't look anything else up. Plus its formatting isn't great. I look forward to them finishing it.
Quote:
• TelnetConsole=
Unknown, does NOT enable a telnet login over wifi, somebody try if this work over usb
I didn't see that one.
Quote:
• BookSpecificStats=true
Enables more stats when pressing the % read in the lower left corner.
No, that is already there for kepubs. What it does is add a "Reading Stats" option to a books menu in the library lists. This displays the usual reading stats page, but the top section is for that book rather than the last book that was opened. A nice addition, but they should display the stats as part of the details page for the book.
Quote:
• FullBookPageNumbers=
Might be pagenumber for full book rather than for each chapter?
Yes, for kepubs it changes to page number for the book rather than the current chapter. But, the reading stats popup doesn't display the chapter bar chart properly. It only shows one bar rather than one for each chapter. Also, the page number update is slow when the book is first opened.
Quote:
The rest of the options is not tested, please try them out, and report back if you find out what they are for.
Also please notice that I’m not exactly sure that they are listed under the correct section. (between brackets[]) So test them in other sections, if they do not seem to work in the ones listed below.
I had a little trouble working that out. But, if you put them in the wrong place, they probably won't harm anything. And they tend to disappear if the device rewrites the file.

The other problem is the value. Most are true/false. But, there are a few that need some other values. Sometimes it is obvious what is needed, sometimes not.
Quote:

[ReadingLife]
• MarketingMessages
This has an option in the Glo (might be only the beta) and Aura HD settings menu. I'm not sure where they get displayed. Maybe there is a tile that you press to see them
Quote:
[FeatureSettings]
• SelectiveSync
I am pretty sure this is related to the ability to archive kepubs from Kobo. Setting it to false will probably remove the archive option from the menus.
Quote:
• ReadingTimePerDay
I couldn't find an effect of this. I was hoping to see a graph or something of the number of hours per day.
Quote:
• Thesaurus
The "Thesaurus" adds an option to the dictionary menu to do a thesaurus look up like the dictionary and translation.
Quote:
[ApplicationPreferences]
• SyncShelves
Stops shelves from syncing during the sync to the Kobo server. It might be handy if you have two devices logged into the same account and want separate shelves on them.
Quote:
• ShowBrightnessToast
When you first turn the light on on a Glo or Aura HD, a popup about adjusting the light is shown. This option gets set to true after that.

And apparently, Kobo calls popups "Toast".
Quote:
• QuickTourShown
Changes to false after the Quick tour has been shown when the device is new.
Quote:
• Debugging=true
WARNING this turns off sleep timeout, and burns battery.
• PromotionsAvailable
I think this is Aura HD and possibly Glo only. But, I haven't worked out where the promotions are displayed.
Quote:
[Browser]
• SwipeDialogShown=true
Might have something to do with the Wikipedia dialog, its possible to “swipe” the dialog pages without using the small page arrows on the button
[ReadingLife]
No, this is for the Aura HD. This uses swiping to turn pages in the library list. The first time the list is displayed, a popup is shown to explain this. When this is dismissed, the option is set to true.
Quote:
• readingAdobeShowPageNumbers
Set from the "Reading settings" page.
Quote:
• libraryShowCovers
The Aura HD can turn the cover display off in the library list.
Quote:
• readingBGColor
• readingTextColor
• readingTheme

Listed below are some strings listed after readingTheme, might be different themes
• Kepub-book-theme-
• Sepia
• Night
Hey maybe “Night” is a reversed display like the night mode hack. Or the readingBGColor and readingTextColor above can be used for the same effect.
That's what I thought, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Or, maybe I haven't set the option correctly. I can't work out how the other options would work. I was wondering if they might have been carried over from code shared with the iOS and Android apps.

Last edited by davidfor; 07-20-2013 at 01:21 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Anyone following this might also be interested in all the options and features that are being added to the Kobo devices through the continuing development of Giorgio130's Koreader port to Kobo https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216960 and Sergeyvl12's Launcher and new File Monitor https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201632
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218283

The last few weeks have seen very dramatic progress so that they are ready for more general use beyond just the Development Corner crowd.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
[FeatureSettings]
ImageZoom=true

shows also an effect.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Ok... with Wikipedia and Google translate on Kobo I could turn on wifi in my house
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
guys, thank you and karma: i've added the thesaurus, wikipedia and sentence translation, and so far they seem to work well (with the limitations indicated by davidfor).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
thesaurus, wikipedia and sentence translation work with firmware 2.5.2 in kepubs, and in sideloaded epubs aswell.

Really great find, the wikipedia linkin and online translation was the major thing I missed from the sonys.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Demo Mode
GUI
1.Press search
2. select library search
Search string:
demo mode on
demo mode off

Config entries
[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentDemoRegion=

[FeatureSettings]
DemoMode=true

Not new but take a look.

[FeatureSettings]
ShowLayoutRectangles=true

This adds rectangles around the sentences in kepub mode.

ExportHighlightsEnabled= [true or false]

Seems to have no effect.

[Reading]

ReadingPublisherMode= [integer value]
No effect

Last edited by Anak; 07-24-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
[Reading]

ReadingPublisherMode= [integer value]
No effect
I don't know about the effect. But this belongs to the db.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Great stuff, though I wonder how it works for the following options :
wikipedia : does it search on the english wikipedia, or does it consider your kobo language setting and search in the appropriate wikipedia ?
online translation : does it guess the source language from the metadata in the book and the target language from the kobo language setting, or do you get to choose both language ? also, is it not too slow since it has to access the web for translating ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The question is when will some of the basic features end up in the GUI?
Just as show/hide Adobe page numbers.

Enable or disable Reading Settings as:
  • BookSpecificStats
  • FullBookPageNumbers
  • Use online dictionaries (Wikipedia/PhraseTranslation)

Last edited by Anak; 07-25-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think they will ever appear as options. I would expect when Kobo is ready, a lot will just be turned on and appear. This would be the case for the BookSpecificStats or the online lookup options. FullBookPageNumbers and maybe some of the others would need to be options.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
ExportHighlightsEnabled= [true or false]

Seems to have no effect.
When enabled, this adds an extra option to the book menu in the library list. It was something like "Export highlights". When selected, it prompts for a file name and writes the highlights and annotations to the file as text. The file went into the root of the partition. From memory, it didn't include any context or position information for where to find the highlight in the book.

One that has been missed is "Screenshots=true". With this, the device periodically takes a screenshot and saves it to the disk. I think there was another option near this that looked like it should set the timing of the screenshots. Of course, the only way to start and stop the screen shots is to connect to the PC and change the setting.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
One that has been missed is "Screenshots=true"
Useful if you want to see if your son read dirty comics on your Kobo
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Useful if you want to see if your son read dirty comics on your Kobo
For those images, he needs RawScreenshots=true.

Regards,
David

P.S. That is a real option.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nickel, wikipedia