Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
CC can't complete searches

Whenever I do a search with CC, it ends up with an error message -- Unfortunately, Calibre Companion has Stopped -- and the app then closes. Prior to that the search proceeds, with the progress bar showing normally and the number of matches showing above that. It just won't complete the search.

I have a Nook HD running ICS and the books are kept on the micro sd card.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't see this behavior.

Are you the person who allowed google to send us the crash reports? If so, then the problem arises because the database no longer has the table of results from the search. It is really hard to see how this can happen. One possibility is that your device is very memory challenged, causing the underlying android UI object to get recreated when the search finishes. From what I see in the android source code, this could cause the table to get destroyed even though it is in active use.

Does it do the same thing if you long-press on a tag, for example? That uses a different mechanism to create the table.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello chaley,

No, I don't think I sent a crash report on this previously. But I just did now (around 12:49 PM EST). On this latest attempt, the number of matches does not even show above the progress bar.

I just tried long-pressing on a tag, and I got the same result/error message. I sent you that crash report as well (around 12:53 PM EST).

I'm not sure what type of memory you are talking about, but in terms of internal storage, I have 9.3gb of free space. On the external card, there is currently 5.9gb of free space. And I never get an out-of-memory or low-memory warning from the system or any of my apps.

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
PatNY
Zennist

Chaley, if you meant RAM, it says on the web that the Nook HD has 1024 mb RAM. There is 16gb built-in storage and, as I said above, there is plenty of it left both internally and on the card.

The processor specs are: Dual core, 1300 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Chaley, if you meant RAM, it says on the web that the Nook HD has 1024 mb RAM. There is 16gb built-in storage and, as I said above, there is plenty of it left both internally and on the card.

The processor specs are: Dual core, 1300 MHz, ARM Cortex-A9

--Pat
1024 MB of ram isn't very much. However, it is the same as my Galaxy Nexus, so it should work. Do you have a lot of books on your device?

If I make a test version of CC and give you the APK, would you be able to install it? You would need to get it onto your device, then use a file manager to "open" it so that it installs.

My problem is that I cannot reproduce this problem, so I have no idea if what I am doing really fixes it.
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
PatNY
Zennist

chaley, I currently have 713 books on the external micro sd card. And that's just part of my library. I plan to put more on there in the future. Is that considered a lot?

Yes, I can install APKs. I already flashed the stock OS with some tweaks to allow that. So no problem there.

Did the two crash reports I sent you tell you anything?

-- Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
PatNY
Zennist

As a test, I just moved all the books to internal storage to see if it would make a difference. It didn't. The search still won't complete.

I like the graphic you have when books are moved. Very cute!

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
chaley, I currently have 713 books on the external micro sd card. And that's just part of my library. I plan to put more on there in the future. Is that considered a lot?

Yes, I can install APKs. I already flashed the stock OS with some tweaks to allow that. So no problem there.

Did the two crash reports I sent you tell you anything?

-- Pat
could you PM me an email address so I can send you the new APK?

The crash reports confirm that the search results table is disappearing. As far as I can tell they are supposed to go when the app closes, but in your case they are apparently being deleted earlier than that. I changed CC to make the table permanent in hopes that will fix the issue. The table is small, so making it permanent doesn't have a large cost.

And no, a 1000 books isn't a lot.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
PatNY
Zennist

chaley, I just PM'd you with my email address.

When you say you will make the table permanent, that doesn't mean it won't get updated when new books are added to CC, right? Also, I have a task killer that kills tasks 30 seconds after the screen goes off. Will that impact the fix?

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
chaley, I just PM'd you with my email address.
Thanks. We are having a bit of trouble making a test version that will install cleanly over the production version. I will send it as soon as we resolve these issues.
Quote:
When you say you will make the table permanent, that doesn't mean it won't get updated when new books are added to CC, right? Also, I have a task killer that kills tasks 30 seconds after the screen goes off. Will that impact the fix?
--Pat
It means that the table won't get deleted when you clear/cancel the search. It isn't used when searches are not in effect so leaving it there won't break anything. It just takes a little bit of space -- some 8 bytes per book matched by the search.

Searches are not updated when books are added. They need to be run again.

The task killer shouldn't have any effect other than to make restarting CC slower.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks. We are having a bit of trouble making a test version that will install cleanly over the production version. I will send it as soon as we resolve these issues.
Thanks for such a quick response. I do not mind uninstalling the production version completely in order to test the fix ... and then reinstalling the production version ... if that is an option.

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

APK sent by email. Let me know what happens. No hurry.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
PatNY
Zennist

Woo-hoo! Success. The new apk works perfectly.

Do you have ANY idea what caused the table to be deleted prematurely? Could it have something to do with the B&N launcher that is an overly over ICS?

I was prepared to put a totally new ROM on this device to get pure JB android if this fix didn't work, but now I don't have to and can keep the B&N interface which I prefer to do.

Thanks so much Charles!

--Pat
Old 07-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

My theory, supported by the new apk working, is the B&N "improved" the database code in android to more aggressively recover space. This would be appropriate for devices like the nook color that are severely memory challenged. It is much less appropriate for the newer devices like the hd that are reasonably well configured.

To be a bit more precise, I think B&N decided to delete temporary tables when a transaction completes, not when the app terminates. That would cause the table to suddenly disappear. Changing it to a permanent table prevents that from happening.

We are very happy this change solved the problem. We will roll out the change to everyone else over the weekend.

Thanks for your help!