Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
Grunge
Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.Grunge can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
precompiled binaries,

if you need any precompiled binaries you can find them here.
http://mes5devel.mandriva.com/~fbui/.../main/release/

they worked well for me. pain is, that you have to extract them and then copy them over to your kobo (i always remove/mount the internal sdcard).

also if you need ldd to figure out what libs are missing:
glibc-2.14.90-16-mdv2012.0.armv7l.rpm

maybe somebody has an idea to install and use a package manager?

I also managed to compile and run CutyCapt + Xvfb on my KoboTouch.
I will provided the binaries when i have everything smooth and clean.

Greetings
Grunge
Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
joris_
joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joris_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
Alternatively, you can download Debian packages for the armel architecture. Just search for a package, download a .deb for the armel architecture, open the .deb with something that can handle them (I think they're just tarballs; 7zip works at least), copy the data.tar file inside the .deb to the root of your Kobo, then run "tar -xvzf data.tar". You'll have to manually download all dependencies, and sometimes you have to move or link some files, but it seems to work quite nicely, in general. I'd recommend downloading packages from Debian Squeeze.

Note that doing this will rapidly fill up your root partition, though.
joris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
a3nm
a3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't litter

Alternatively, you can install debian in a chroot as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203986

This takes up a lot of space, but installing Debian programs in the chroot is much easier because dependencies are correctly managed. (Plus, there is no risk of overwriting files and messing up the host system.)
a3nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joris_ View Post
You'll have to manually download all dependencies
You can use this trick:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...s-to-directory
(with some sudo I guess, and using dpkg on the downloaded packages instead of aptitude)

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
a3nm
a3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't littera3nm doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
You can use this trick:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...s-to-directory
(with some sudo I guess, and using dpkg on the downloaded packages instead of aptitude)
You will also need to make aptitude retrieve the armel packages rather than the packages for your computer's architecture. That's a nice trick, though.
a3nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I think it will work only if you have Debian OS. For example I use Lubuntu, and even if *ubuntu are Debian distros, ubuntu repo has no armel packages.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

It's not as practical as it was in the olden days, since packages have many more dependencies these days, but I used to use http://packages.debian.org/ to figure out which packages had to be downloaded to satisfy dependencies. ldd is also handy if you want to keep things to an absolute minimum.

As for the apt tricks, an ubuntu site suggested:

apt-get download package:architecture

If you're trying to get debian packages from ubuntu, I'm pretty sure that you only need to change the sources.list file. Caution is definitely advised though, since I imagine that you could really mess up your system that way.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
As for the apt tricks, an ubuntu site suggested:

apt-get download package:architecture
Well, indeed it seems Ubuntu have armel binaries in its repository, but on its repo site it shows only intel 32 or amd 64 bit binaries

Anyway I don't know if apt-get download will get all dependencies. MAN says:

Code:
download
           download will download the given binary package into the current
           directory.
I think you have to do instead:

Code:
mkdir PACKAGE
cd PACKAGE
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get --download-only install PACKAGE:armel
cp /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb ./
as suggested by Stack Overflow guys (geeks' God bless SO).

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 05-30-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I tried to get the armel build of Firefox, but nothing. So Ubuntu actually doesn't have armel binaries in its repo. You have to add the Debian repo (and remove it after!)

Furthermore you have to add --reinstall option if you download all the dependencies, even if you have already installed some of them to your current machine (in this case you should not have any problem, since I don't think you're using an ARM PC, but you never know )