Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Paragraph Break

Not sure if this is a Calibre or Sigil related question, so I hope someone can guide me in the right direction?

At present I insert a para break by using <p class="calibre7">&nbsp;</p> to reflect a corresponding space in the hard copy of the book. Using Enter/Space in Sigil to create.

Code View:

<p class="calibre7">But it was clear that the lady did not believe him.</p>

<p class="calibre7">&nbsp;</p>

<p class="calibre">It was about ten o’clock that night.</p>

Book View:

But it was clear that the lady did not believe him.

It was about ten o’clock that night.

This works fine when I transfer the epub onto my tablet using Aldiko as the reader.

However I find that now if I have to convert the book again (for covers etc.) that Calibre (Version 9.28) removes the &nbsp leaving just <p class="calibre7"></p>, effectively removing the space originally created. I'm sure this didn't happen in previous versions of Calibre.

If in Sigil (Version 0.7.2) I just press enter to create a space it shows up as <p class="calibre7"><br /></p> which creates the space in Sigil, but this doesn't show up on the E-Reader.

What should I now be using to insert a space that Calibre will not remove in subsequent conversions, and that the E-reader can recognize?

Thanks in advance.
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Not sure if this is a Calibre or Sigil related question, so I hope someone can guide me in the right direction?

At present I insert a para break by using <p class="calibre7">&nbsp;</p> to reflect a corresponding space in the hard copy of the book. Using Enter/Space in Sigil to create.

Code View:

<p class="calibre7">&nbsp;</p>

<p class="calibre">It was about ten o’clock that night.</p>

Book View:

But it was clear that the lady did not believe him.

It was about ten o’clock that night.

This works fine when I transfer the epub onto my tablet using Aldiko as the reader.

However I find that now if I have to convert the book again (for covers etc.) that Calibre (Version 9.28) removes the &nbsp leaving just <p class="calibre7"></p>, effectively removing the space originally created. I'm sure this didn't happen in previous versions of Calibre.

If in Sigil (Version 0.7.2) I just press enter to create a space it shows up as <p class="calibre7"><br /></p> which creates the space in Sigil, but this doesn't show up on the E-Reader.

What should I now be using to insert a space that Calibre will not remove in subsequent conversions, and that the E-reader can recognize?

Thanks in advance.
Specify a top margin in the style of the paragraph after where you want a blank line.

<p class="calibre">But it was clear that the lady did not believe him.</p>
<p class="gapabove">It was about ten o’clock that night.</p>

and in your CSS file

p.gapabove {
top-margin: 1.5em;
}
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Specify a top margin in the style of the paragraph after where you want a blank line.

<p class="calibre">But it was clear that the lady did not believe him.</p>
<p class="gapabove">It was about ten o’clock that night.</p>

and in your CSS file

p.gapabove {
top-margin: 1.5em;
}
Thanks for your help.

Tried it in Sigil it created a space above, but also below, plus there was no indent.
Subsequent conversion by Calibre with remove spacing between paras in Look & Feel unchecked, changed the style sheet to:

.gapabove {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
top-margin: 1.5em
}

Changed margin-bottom to 0em which removed bottom space, but indent still unchanged.

What I really want is an instruction I can insert between lines to create a space, that Calibre will not affect in subsequent conversions.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Even better...

<p class="spacebreak">It was about ten o’clock that night.</p>

.spacebreak {
margin-top: 2em;
text-indent: 0
}

That works very well for a section break.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even better...

.spacebreak {
}

Sorry that worked exactly as the gapabove did.
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Even better...

.spacebreak {
}

Plus a subsequent conversion by Calibre wipes this out completely and reverts the para to Calibre7.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

.gapabove {
}

Changed margin-bottom to 0em which removed bottom space, but indent still unchanged.
If that is really what your stylesheet says , there is no wonder why (and ADE would probably ignore the whole style because of that error)

text-indent: 1.5em;
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks for your help.

Tried it in Sigil it created a space above, but also below, plus there was no indent.
Subsequent conversion by Calibre with remove spacing between paras in Look & Feel unchecked, changed the style sheet to:

.gapabove {
}

What I really want is an instruction I can insert between lines to create a space, that Calibre will not affect in subsequent conversions.
Sorry, I should have written margin-top. There's no top-margin CSS instruction.

try

.gapabove {
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 1.5em;
text-indent: 1em;
}

(or whatever value you usually use for text-indent.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Sorry, I should have written margin-top. There's no top-margin CSS instruction.

try

.gapabove {
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 1.5em;
text-indent: 1em;
}

(or whatever value you usually use for text-indent.)
Thanks Guys

That did the trick.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry that worked exactly as the gapabove did.
The code is a lot neater. Plus, it doesn't indent the first paragraph after the section break. So it's much more noticeable that it's the first paragraph that starts a new section.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Plus a subsequent conversion by Calibre wipes this out completely and reverts the para to Calibre7.
Subesquent conversion? Why? All you are doing is making a rather big mess. If you are going from a different format to ePub, you want to convert. Then you want to go to Sigil it fix it up. But you do not want to convert again.

ePub > ePub = NO!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Subesquent conversion? Why? All you are doing is making a rather big mess. If you are going from a different format to ePub, you want to convert. Then you want to go to Sigil it fix it up. But you do not want to convert again.

ePub > ePub = NO!
Sometimes it is necessary. I scan my books using AbbyyFineReader into Epub separate chapters. Then use Sigil to combine and set up. Then final conversion with Cover, Metadata and tidy up I have to use Calibre. I am not knowledgeable enough to do it all in Sigil.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Sometimes it is necessary. I scan my books using AbbyyFineReader into Epub separate chapters. Then use Sigil to combine and set up. Then final conversion with Cover, Metadata and tidy up I have to use Calibre. I am not knowledgeable enough to do it all in Sigil.
@Paxman53 - have you tried Book Polish after you've done with Sigil - it can insert the cover and metadata - I think without changing other 'components'.

Book Polish was added to the baseline Calibre within the last couple of months, its also a lot faster than doing ePUB to ePUB conversion .

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Paxman53 - have you tried Book Polish after you've done with Sigil - it can insert the cover and metadata - I think without changing other 'components'.

Book Polish was added to the baseline Calibre within the last couple of months, its also a lot faster than doing ePUB to ePUB conversion .

BR
The Modify ePub plugin can do that too without a conversion.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The Modify ePub plugin can do that too without a conversion.
True - but Polish is simpler, easier - hit 'P' on the book(s), a tad faster, and there's no need to install a plug-in.

Polish also does font sub-setting - which I don't think is currently available in Modify.

BTW - where is kiwidude - I hope he's enjoying himself somewhere.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote