Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
E Reader for use outside

Hello everyone. I am a college student. My main e reader is my iPad 3. I use for for many things. However, the iPad 3 is pretty useless outside. The gloss screen make it a poor choice for outside, plus the LCD brightness trying to deal with the sun is a losing battle. I want an e reader so I can sit outside, enjoy the weather, and read. I am use to my 9.7 iPad screen and like the larger font without having to scroll very much. My textbooks are PDF files, so the e reader must play well with PDF files. I would like your thoughts on this. The e reader can have more features, but it must able to be seen outside in bright light, work well with PDF textbooks, have a big screen, and not cost $500. Thanks for the help.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For outside work you want an eInk type screen. But there aren't many large screen devices around.

Perhaps a second-hand Kindle DX at around $250 would fit the bill.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
If you want to read on iPad in the sun you should buy some good anti-glare screen protector but also buy or make yourself sunshade like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiV2FaPw44c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6f8c6sd_AA

If you want good and cheaper 10" e-ink pdf reader you should buy used kindle dx and install kindlepdfviewer thereon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

If you also want to make handwritten notes in pdf's then you can do that in iPad or even some other e-ink reader (with stylus) while reading on kindle dx or buy yourself M92/Icarus Excel.

Last edited by markom; 04-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Sorry to say, no eink reader handles PDFs very well ...

PDF is not an ebook format and it was actually designed to show documents on their real size. For these and other reasons, using a slow eink refresh screen may not be the best for PDFs files or documents. Also, moving back and forth inside the actual PDF (like chapters) can be difficult.

I used to have a Kindle DXG but sold it and bought an iPad (it was an iPad 2, i use a mini now) I am not able to read outside anymore, lost that ability, but it handles PDFs extremely well; I use GoodReader.

So ... if you really want to give it a try, check Kindle DXG. Sony ereaders are known for their PDF capabilities but they have smaller screens.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Kloos
Kloos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Ereader for use outside

Look at the Kobo Aura
Kloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloos View Post
Look at the Kobo Aura
Yes, this has been announced/shipped since you asked your question.

It's only a 6.8" screen (so larger than most, but not as bit as a DX or iPad), but a very high resolution screen, so probably would work well for you with your young eyes.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote