Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
dkbush
dkbush began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Missing Covers in Kindle Fire Carousel

My dad's kindle fire that I bought him will not load books using a usb as for some reason his computer will not recognize his kindle (my laptop recognized it though). I have a lot of non-Amazon books that I have been trying to send him and figured we could use the email directly to kindle method. It does work but unfortunately, it will not show the book covers on the kindle's carousel (but it shows them on his bookshelf).

I have tried everything to no avail. I am loading the books on Calibre and converting them to .mobi format. I have searched and tried all types of responses, i.e., took out the pdoc when converting; tried both checking and unchecking the share on facebook button, have emailed directly from Calibre and also tried going to the actual book folder and emailing it from there, have selected the option to embed the cover with the book on metadata options. He has rebooted, opened and closed the book, etc. Nothing works. I have found no solution no matter what we try. I understand this to be an Amazon software glitch. Can someone help?

I just cannot seem to find an answer to this problem.
dkbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Welcome dkbush!
You might have a little better luck posting in the Kindle Fire sub-forum, but...

As far as the emailing problem, I don't have a clue. I've always sideloaded my books to get them on the Kindles.

For the problem with it not being recognized by the computer, we'd need some more information to be able to help. First, is the Kindle a Fire or a Fire HD? Second, what operating system are you running on the two computers? I remember seeing something about Fires not being recognized by Windows XP, but I'm not sure if it was all Fires or just the HDs.

A little more information will get you more useful help. Good luck.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@dkbush-
First- Calibre on XP does not recognize the HD Fires. If you have an HD, then emailing books is the only way I know to get them there from Calibre on XP.
Second- There were lots of problems with covers and the carousel...I don't know if this is still pertinent, but read this.
Otherwise, SampleAndy is correct....your best bet is to post in the Kindle Fire sub forum.
Good Luck! (welcome to the forum!)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
All tablets with operating systems of honeycomb, ice cream sandwich, jelly bean and up use mtp and this is not recognized by Windows XP. Windows XP does not have mtp capability.

The reason why the bookcovers are not showing up, is when you send to kindle a pdoc identifier is attached to the book which identifies it as a doc file. Instead of doing that I'd recommend using drop box and the usng save to disk to drop box then just downloading the books you want to read from there.

My computer at work has Windows XP, so my portable calibre doesn't work recognize my Fire HD. So when I want to read something not on my fire HD, I download it off my dropbox account.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try awz formats. Worked for me on Windows 7.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert