Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Marvel giving away 700 first-issue digital comics for free

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/11/40...digital-comics

Quote:
If you like superhero origin stories, you just hit the jackpot. Marvel announced that it’s giving away digital versions of over 700 of its first-issue comics, both through the browser-based Marvel Digital Comics Shop, and through the official mobile app. The books ordinarily run $1.99 to $3.99 a piece, which makes this quite an attractive giveaway — so much so that we can’t manage to get through the download process either in the browser or through the mobile app. Thankfully, the promotion is running unti 11PM ET Tuesday, so there’s still plenty of time to try and grab every #1.
This is also going on over at Comixology, which is also either not loading on the browser, or very slow on my iPad.

Still, it's 700 comic freebies!!!!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Servers aren't working and/or are not up to the task.

We need the Hulk to go in there and smash something soft.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Servers aren't working and/or are not up to the task.

We need the Hulk to go in there and smash something soft.

Don
All I get is a blanks browser screen. Definitely the servers cannot handle the load.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Ryan Penagos, Marvel is reportedly in talks to extend the deal due to the servers not working.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
According to Ryan Penagos, Marvel is reportedly in talks to extend the deal due to the servers not working.
Well, that's good, at least. I was hoping to grab a few before going to the airport but no such luck. I'll try again once I'm there.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/11/40...digital-comics

This is also going on over at Comixology, which is also either not loading on the browser, or very slow on my iPad.

Still, it's 700 comic freebies!!!!
What's even more annoying is that I can't even log in at Comixology. It keeps timing out (both on the web via my PC and from my Android tablet). So I can't buy anything, or get at my prior purchases to read them, let alone download a few freebies.

What's odd is that I wasn't logged out on the tablet previously. I wonder if they kicked everybody out of the system to lighten the load?

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Took me about 2 hours of trying off and on, but I finally got logged in. Not that it did any good. Can't get anything to pull up now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Because the servers are overwhelmed, they're temporarily pausing the promotion and ask that you enter your email address to get notified when the deal is back on

http://blog.comixology.com/2013/03/1...-from-the-ceo/

I had been trying for 2 days off and on, but had no luck. Looking forward to grabbing some great issues when they're available!
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I managed to get one via Comixology, but it didn't seem to actually attach to my account (although I can read it on iPad). android won't even let me log into the account there.

Created new account at Marvel - it confirmed, but won't let me log into the store (online or via any app).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
Because the servers are overwhelmed, they're temporarily pausing the promotion and ask that you enter your email address to get notified when the deal is back on

http://blog.comixology.com/2013/03/1...-from-the-ceo/

I had been trying for 2 days off and on, but had no luck. Looking forward to grabbing some great issues when they're available!
Now the form to be notified when things are working is broken. Time to fire the CEO and the head of the IT department.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now the form to be notified when things are working is broken. Time to fire the CEO and the head of the IT department.
I feel bad for him. There's no way they could have anticipated how greedy folks got. There's one guy on the blog complaining about not being able to read the 637 free titles he "bought." I saw the whole list--signed up for the #1's for some classic Bronze age stuff, and a couple of other origin stories. About 30 total, and I was starting to feel like too much of a freeloader.

P.S. It looks like the form is working again. If you want to skip the blog, the direct link to the form is http://m.comixology.com/sale-access/

Last edited by curtw; 03-11-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: update
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I feel bad for him. There's no way they could have anticipated how greedy folks got.
Giving away 700 free comics and it never occurred to them that the demand would be huge? The blame lies solely with them for not thinking this through before implementation.

Oh, and there's nothing greedy about taking advantage of a promised offer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Comixology has a pretty decent sized freebie section to begin with. I have a pretty nice library because of that. I also buy a lot of stuff though.

Mine actually went through, and I just opened and read one with no issue this morning. My library is almost 200 pages now though.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
My acct at marvel is finally all there (it took hours just to be able to log in and then it was screwy and would not sync with Comixology).

Nothing that said it went thru on the iPad is there, though.

Hopefully they'll get it fixed and I'll be able to pick up a few.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, Marvel could have done '52 weeks of free number 1s' for added gis and PR...servers might have survived that.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote