Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question Worth switching over from Kobo?

In my e-reading life so far I've gone through 2 beBooks, a sony 650 and a kobo touch. They've all done the job reasonably well and I like the Touch best of all, but even it has some grating imperfections. The thing is, I'm not sure that anything out there is better. Is there a reader good enough to be worth switching over? These are my requirements:
  • MUST be e-ink only
  • Ability to add custom fonts
  • SD/microSD storage
  • Supports unlocked epubs
  • Supports pop-up footnotes (epub3 files) nicely. Even better if the footnotes can contain images.
  • Picks up tags which were created in Calibre and uses them to create shelves/tags/whatever. Plays nice with Calibre in general.
  • Ability to do a complex tag-search from within the reader. For example, I want to search for all books which are tagged "science fiction" and "Canadian" but not "Robert Sawyer".
  • As little registration/social networking/bookstore integration as possible. I plan to sideload all of my books.
  • It would be nice if the reader recognized asian-character books and changed the font automatically only for those books. Right now I have to manually switch to an asian font, which then changes all of my English books to the asian font as well.
  • Ability to display math formulas as content, not images.
  • Charges through mini or micro usb, no custom cables.
  • Ability to add custom dictionaries would be nice, although it's not a deal-breaker.
  • frontlit would be nice, but not a deal-breaker.

I don't want much, do I?
Is there any ebook reader out there which provides most or all of these features?

Last edited by Krytes; 02-17-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some of your requirements are impossible. Eg, you say it must be eInk, but then you say you want a backlight. No eInk display can be backlit, for the simple reason that an eInk screen is opaque. That's why all the eInk readers with lighting are frontlit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Krytes
Enthusiast

Oops, sorry, I meant frontlit.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That pretty much describes a Kobo Glo. Or you Touch. It doesn't do the tag search. It has multiple dictionaries and there are instructions in the Kobo forum for replacing the supplied dictionary. I haven't tried a book with maths formula in it, so I don't know how it is handled.

The only other thing is the Asian fonts. I thought this was handled well in recent firmware. It might mean the book doesn't the correct language set when you send it. Or, it might be working with the kepub reader on the device. Have you tried loading the books with the extension ".kepub.epub"?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
Krytes
Enthusiast

I know, my kobo does most of it. I was just really hoping for that tag-search functionality. Ah well. Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
cmkread
cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cmkread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook touch
did you come to any conclusion? I am first time ereader buyer and just got the Nook STR as it was the most cost effective, expandable memory, plays with calibre which my firneds have huge library, and the eink pearl seems like amazing technology from all the forums I've read, in compared to just about everything
cmkread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, gadget disloyalty, techno-geek