Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
kindle formats?

hello!

I bought a paperwhite, and now I wonder about different format I can use. I can read mobi on the kindle, and what else.

I found that
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...port_by_device

it says i can use other formats, but only if i let it convert through amazon. Now I know, that I sure can convert it my own with software tools, but can't the paperwhite and kindle 4, touch, so the newer ones use those formats native.

The page says png, jpg I need to convert too. I found that I must create an ordner named images and then the files appear. Maybe I need to create another folder with a name I don't know and the kindle shows the other formats too. For example a htm page, .doc?

Anyone knows?

Format support by device

The first generation Kindle can read only unprotected Mobipocket files (MOBI, PRC), plain text files (TXT), Topaz format books (TPZ), and Amazon's AZW format.

The Kindle 2 added native PDF capability with the Version 2.3 firmware upgrade.[22] Earlier versions could not generally read PDF files, but Amazon provided "experimental" conversion to the native AZW format,[95] with the caveat that not all PDFs may format correctly.[96] The Kindle 2 added the ability to read the Audible Enhanced (AAX) format, but dropped the ability to read Audible versions 2 and 3. The Kindle 2 can also display HTML files stored on the unit.

The fourth/fifth generation Kindles, Kindle Touch, Kindle Touch 3G, and Kindle Paperwhite can display AZW, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, and PRC files natively. HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP are usable through conversion. The Touch and Touch 3G can also play Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX) and MP3 files.[97] Amazon indicated in 2012 that the fourth generation Kindles will be updated to support the KF8 format.[98]
Email conversion

Amazon offers an email-based service that will convert GIF, PNG and BMP graphics to AZW.[99] Amazon will also convert HTML pages and Microsoft Word (DOC) documents through the same email-based mechanism, which will send a Kindle-formatted file to the device via 3G for $0.15 per MB or via WiFi for free. These services can be accessed to Kindle devices, Apple iOS devices running Kindle app version 2.9 or greater, and Android devices running Kindle app version 3.5 or greater.[100]
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the main Kindle forum. Please don't post English-language posts to the German-language forums.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
gris
Connoisseur

sorry, I had not seen that I was in the german thread. But maybe you can move it to "which one should I buy" don't know, maybe i get more answers there! thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, this is the correct place to ask about the Kindle. But you've posted the answer yourself in your original post, so perhaps people are a little unsure about what you're asking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
gris
Connoisseur

I asked if this is correct! I am not sure, because the text says the same about the picture formats, that they need to be converted, but they work native, when put in a folder called images.

And in the description of the reader on various sites they say HTML, DOC, DOCX, AZW3, AZW, TXT, PDF, MOBI, PRC nativ. So why should they mention HTML, DOC, DOCX as useable formats, when they need to be converted?

When I convert things, then it would for example view epub too. Just need to convert them. And the kindle views pdf and txt files, so it is not too far away that it would do that with the others too. And this was the only concrete information source I found on it till now. So I'm not too sure if it is true.

Maybe they too need to be put in a special folder, or something else need to be done to easily display them on the reader.

question concerns mainly kindle 4,5, touch paperwhite.

Last edited by gris; 02-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Because HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP are usable through conversion only, and always have been available only through conversion. Those are the only formats that the Amazon email service handles. .mobi and .pdf, and .txt are the only formats read natively that are supported officially. If you got /images to work, good for you, but it isn't documented to work, and they could do an update and take away that capability.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
gris
Connoisseur

thank you susan! That helped to answer my question in more detail.