Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
CyberPotato
CyberPotato began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Samsung Galaxy Note, Asus Nexus 7
Do I need this metadata file?

I created a blank Calibre library in a new location. When I did, a metadata file was created in the same directory as the Calibre folder. Since it is not within the Calibre directory tree, I wonder what it is for, and if I need it, or if it was just needed for the creation of the library?
CyberPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPotato View Post
I created a blank Calibre library in a new location. When I did, a metadata file was created in the same directory as the Calibre folder. Since it is not within the Calibre directory tree, I wonder what it is for, and if I need it, or if it was just needed for the creation of the library?
In answer to your title question, Yes. That is the heart and soul of the new library you just created. It is in the root of your new library within the directory tree of that library. All books added and metadata added will be tracked in this single file.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added clarification
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So that's a "yes," then?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Do you mean that it was created at the same level as the Calibre folder, or at that point it was the only file INSIDE the Calibre folder? There should ALWAYS be such a file inside the Calibre library folder at the top level.

As others have mentioned this is the database file used to track all books and their associated metadata within a Calibre library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
CyberPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Do you mean that it was created at the same level as the Calibre folder, or at that point it was the only file INSIDE the Calibre folder? There should ALWAYS be such a file inside the Calibre library folder at the top level.

As others have mentioned this is the database file used to track all books and their associated metadata within a Calibre library.
Yes, it is at the same level as the Calibre folder, not inside it. e.g. C:/User/Documents/Calibre exists at the same level as C:/User/Documents/metadata.db. There is, of course, the one inside Calibre, e.g. C:/User/Documents/Calibre/metadata.db, but that is not the one I'm to which I am referring.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, it is at the same level as the Calibre folder, not inside it. e.g. C:/User/Documents/Calibre exists at the same level as C:/User/Documents/metadata.db. There is, of course, the one inside Calibre, e.g. C:/User/Documents/Calibre/metadata.db, but that is not the one I'm to which I am referring.
I'm not sure where that one came from. Keep and eye on it if it is never updated feel free to move it and if moving it has no effect then feel free to delete it. Bottom line is we don't have the knowledge of everything you're not telling us or don't recall, so how it got there is a mystery to me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Files outside your library folder are meaningless to calibre. I suggest you send the file to the recycle bin and then run calibre. If there are no problems, delete it permanently.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
CyberPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Files outside your library folder are meaningless to calibre. I suggest you send the file to the recycle bin and then run calibre. If there are no problems, delete it permanently.
Thanks, I'll do that.