Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Summary of Modified Fonts

With all the fonts people are modifying, I thought it might help to get them at least listed in one post. Rather than attaching the fonts to this message, if you click on the little blue icon after the original poster's name, you will go to their original post.

How to add fonts
Spoiler:

Fonts can be be very easily added to the Kobo family of eReaders. With the Kobo attached to your computer, create a new directory called fonts in the root directory of the device (the same location as the .kobo, .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions directories.

Once this directory has been created, simply copy entire font families into it.

A font family consists of four files; one each for Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
The font should be named the same as the system sees the font, so in the case of Linux Libertine, it's exactly that. You'll have 4 different font file, and you want to name each one in the style <Font Name>-<Font Weight>, so for Linux Libertine, you should have 4 files:

Linux Libertine.ttf (or Linux Libertine-Regular.ttf)
Linux Libertine-Italic.ttf
Linux Libertine-Bold.ttf
Linux Libertine-BoldItalic.ttf

For many fonts, the name can simply be what you'd expect it to be, but for some, the actual font name is different than what seems obvious. And you are correct, all these files go into a folder called "fonts" on your Kobo.
Also see
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
This is true. The Adobe SDK allows us to specify a URL to a font file but Qt doesn't allow us to introspect a TTF/OTF for its font family/weight without difficulty.

The resolution is that fonts should end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.

Font Tester
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Last version. Added a CSS grey scale table and fixed some typos.

Thanks to all those that helped out with this.

I will add it to the library, so any further feedback can go there.
Also see
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
An EPUB put together by myself and with helpfrom the MobileRead Wiki, the epub 'css/html tipsand tricks thread' in the epub format forum and the frequenters of the Kobo reader forum.
(thread here).

it contains a series of pages to try and test out what features can be used on your favourite e-reader, and was prompted by some oddities I had observed using my Kobo Mini.

It covers emphasis/italic and bold/strong, accented characters (extended Latin), non Latin scripts, image types, graphics, dropcaps and small caps. Various methods for display are included so that you can determine which your e-reader supports and help you produce the most portable epub books.

Linux Libertine
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedaddy View Post
I would really like to use the font Linux Libertine (a kind of Times New Roman).
I've left the BoldItalic untouched for now.
Quote:
So how about this one? I've just tweaked Regular and Italic, and less than in the first attempt. Since there seems to be enough difference between the original Bold and the touched-up Regular, I've left Bold and BoldItalic alone.
Still can't see it for myself on the Kobo.

Times New Roman
Spoiler:
Quote:
I have been wrestling with my Times font and why it displayed italics as bold. Looking around here on the forum I chanced on a suggestion to use the exact name of the font. For example, the file for a Times font on my hard drive is named times.ttf, but the actual name of the font is Times New Roman. So renamed the files and, lo and behold, it works. Don't ask me why, I can't say the delectable option to add fonts of your own on the Kobo has been made easy, but here you go...

Improved Charis SIL with smallcaps
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've updated Charis SIL. I've not does the smallcaps yet. The updated fonts are attached later on in this thread. So read on to find out about them and to find them.
See this thread

Kindle Fonts
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmask View Post
Hello. I had problems getting Georgia2 to work on my Kindle 3 running 3.2.1, so I made my own bolder version of Georgia. I also made a Kindle version for some other fonts, including Palatino and Times New Roman. You can download them here:

orangetype.com/kindle

Or by downloading this post's attachment (fonts.zip).

This zip file now contains Kindle versions of the following fonts:
  • Bembo
  • Constantia
  • Droid Serif
  • Georgia
  • Georgia2
  • ITC New Baskerville
  • Linux Biolinum
  • Linux Libertine
  • Miller Serif
  • Minion Pro
  • Palatino
  • Times New Roman

Heavier Garamond and Goudy
Spoiler:
Quote:
@polly7: I made you a heavier Garamond and Goudy. I'm not able to view them on the Glo myself at this moment, so it's a bit of a gamble. Especially the Goudy may still be too light. Couldn't find a BoldItalic for either font on my PC.
I think the naming is according to what the Kobo needs.

Even fatter Goudy and Garamond.
Spoiler:
Quote:
OK, here's an even fatter Goudy and Garamond. Still haven't had the time to try them out myself, which is not very useful, anyway, since typeface is a matter of very personal taste. Don't hesitate to ask further weight, though the increments will get smaller and smaller.

Fontin Serif and Roboto
Spoiler:
Quote:
Well, Polly7 and John F, here you go. Enjoy.

FertigoPro
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
For anyone looking for a weightier version of a font similar to Fontin Serif you could also try out the doctored version of FertigoPro in the Kindle Touch wiki. The full set of 4 files (reg, it, bold, boldit) is included, but you will need to Kobo-ify the filenames before using.

Minion Pro
Spoiler:
Quote:
And finally: MinionPro a bit thinner.

Roboto enlarged and made more weighty
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Attached is the Roboto font that bartveld modified for me. He enlarged it and increased the weight.

Delicious
Spoiler:
Quote:
Gee, Polly7, what do you do with all those fonts?
A few remarks: Like Fontin Delicious is a very limited font, with a lot of glyphs not represented. But depending on what you read you may never notice.
Also, it's OTF and FontCreator only saves to TTF. Not sure if that conversion is without problems.

MinionPro font (found in the Kindle collection) Fonts no longer available
Spoiler:

Fonts no longer available
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This post is aimed at anyone who downloaded bartveld's thinner version of the "over-fat" MinionPro font set (which originated in the Kindle wiki).

I attach here, an edited version of MinionPro-Italic.ttf which bartveld kindly corrected because the lowercase 'j' and 'l' were a bit strange and didn't match the rest of the alphabet. As the BoldItalic file also has a similar problem with lowercase 'j' and 'l' I chose to use the Kindle wiki versions of Bold and BoldItalic.

All that sounds rather convoluted, so to recap, the following 4 files make up a full MinionPro font set which works well (IMO) on my Kobo Glo (and also my Sony PRS350, as luck would have it):
Also attached is a pic taken of the KoboGlo (sorry for poor camerawork).

Thanks again to bartveld for all font customisations.

Chaparral Pro, ITC Stone Informal Std, Minion Pro, Sabon LT Std, FF Clifford Nine, FF Tisa Pro -- Fonts no longer available
Spoiler:

Fonts no longer available

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
I've modified (slightly weighter) versions of these fonts, they all look great at smaller sizes maybe with the exception of Chaparral, it's got a pretty small x-height.

Chaparral Pro
ITC Stone Informal Std
Minion Pro
Sabon LT Std
FF Clifford Nine
FF Tisa Pro

FF Tisa is my favorite at the moment, it's similar to PMN Caecilia but slightly narrower and with letters a bit more spaced. Very pleasant to read with.

All fonts are properly renamed, just drop it in your fonts folder.

Last edited by PeterT; 07-15-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removed section on copying fonts from older releases
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updates to the first post are being added as I find them.
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Please change the link for Charis SIL I've done a lot more work to the fonts and I'd like the link to reflect the latest release. Thanks.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

P.S. This thread would be better in the General section.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-14-2016 at 06:37 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I think this was a great idea. Can we get it stickied so it doesn't get lost?

It'd be worthwhile stickied so we can add to it rather than starting multiple threads as people find more fonts.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
yes, sticky please!

and Peter, many thanks for the effort!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hooray, I got first billing! :-)

This is a great collection of resources. It would be great to see this stickied.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about a description (or link) in the first post on how to add them to the device?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about a description (or link) in the first post on how to add them to the device?
Added
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Just to save a bit of effort for anyone using JSWolf's modified Charis SIL font, I've attached a .zip file with his latest regular and compact versions with the font names set as required for a Kobo device.

Just unzip the .ttf files into the fonts directory on your Kobo, power cycle and enjoy.

Edit: corrected a typo in the BoldItalic variant. Up to 2.6.1, BoldITalic worked but now it's fussier and wants BoldItalic.

Regards,
David

2016-Jul-15 -- Removed outdated attachment

Last edited by DNSB; 07-15-2016 at 05:39 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just to save a bit of effort for anyone using JSWolf's modified Charis SIL font, I've attached a .zip file with his latest regular and compact versions with the font names set as required for a Kobo device.

Just unzip the .ttf files into the fonts directory on your Kobo, power cycle and enjoy.

Regards,
David
ADE displays no differently with the two font versions. So there's no need for renaming them. Also, if I was to have a need to update for any reason, this ZIP file would be obsolete and there would be no way I could change it. As it is now, eventually, I'll have all the Mediafire links I posted fixed to the current one.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-03-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE displays no differently with the two font versions. So there's no need for renaming them. Also, if I was to have a need to update for any reason, this ZIP file would be obsolete and there would be no way I could change it. As it is now, eventually, I'll have all the Mediafire links I posted fixed to the current one.
This is a Kobo forum and I was addressing an issue with the way a Kobo device handles fonts. I really don't care what ADE on my Windows or Mac machine displays especially given the sheer joy of changing fonts within ADE but on the Kobo, I need the font files correctly named. Hence, the posting of that .zip file with the changed font file names to save others the fun of opening the font file to find the correct name and then renaming the font file with the name and style. For instance, your modification of the Charis SIL no longer uses Charis SIL2 as the font name but rather Charis SIL Modified which needed to be reflected in the font file name. I could use the shorted style (b, i, r, z) but prefer the full style. The names I used for your modified Charis SIL files are:

Charis SIL Modified-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL Modified-Italic.ttf

Charis SIL SmCp Modified-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Modified-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Modified-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Modified-Italic.ttf

Charis SIL Compact-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL Compact-Italic.ttf

Charis SIL SmCp Compact-Regular.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Compact-Bold.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Compact-BoldItalic.ttf
Charis SIL SmCp Compact-Italic.ttf

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Thanks DNSB!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
great idea PeterT, this makes finding a font so much easier.

Thank you!
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have a new set of Charis SIL that have had the metrics changed to make it larger. It's in beta until Monday and if nobody says there's a problem with it, I'm going to release it. Someone else has asked for a lighter version and I'll be working on that next week.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
Ad2
Enthusiast
Ad2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
With all the fonts people are modifying, I thought it might help to get them at least listed in one post.
Thanks PeterT, what a great idea and thread.

One question, how do I open rar files etc? My computer doesn't seem to recognise them.
Ad2 is offline   Reply With Quote