Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question lack of color in conversion from EPUB to AWZ3

I like to read an e-book using light grey for the background and black for the foreground. Sometimes, I will use a medium blue for text instead of Black. It does present an easier on the eyes reading experience for myself.

This is a hobby for me. I use windows 7 with Sigil and Calibre and my Kindle.

I notice that in Calibre viewer of the awz3 file, my specified colors only show up for the cover screen. The rest of the screens are black on white. Yet, when I use ADE to read the epub file, the colors are correct.

When I view the awz3 file on my Kindle, the colors are to my specification. That is, Black text on a light grey background.

This leaves me to believe that the conversion process from epub to awz3 is not working. Should I be setting some options in Calibre? Sometimes, I like to use the viewer to check my changes.

Last edited by ronaldl; 01-21-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: to add a sentence
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With a Kindle 3, the background is light grey and the text is black. In fact, that's how it is on eInk readers. To get this from front lit readers such as the PW, turn off the light or turn it down as low as possible.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldl View Post
I notice that in Calibre viewer of the awz3 file, my specified colors only show up for the cover screen. The rest of the screens are black on white. Yet, when I use ADE to read the epub file, the colors are correct.

When I view the awz3 file on my Kindle, the colors are to my specification. That is, Black text on a light grey background.

This leaves me to believe that the conversion process from epub to awz3 is not working. Should I be setting some options in Calibre? Sometimes, I like to use the viewer to check my changes.
From what you describe above it may be working fine. You say the azw3 file on your Kindle looks good, and the epub in ADE looks fine. Don't use the calibre viewer as a guide for non epub books. The calibre viewer is a epub viewer that does a quick and dirty conversion of the azw3 prior to viewing so the azw3 may or may not be correct. Try viewing the azw3 in Kindle Previewer to see how your file looks on Kindle devices.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote