Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Perform surgery on your Palm and drastically increase battery life!

I hadn't been to the Brighthand Palm forums in a long time, so I recently went to peruse. Lo and behold, there is an incredible (and incredibly long) thread on upgrading your Tungsten battery and squeezing a lot more life out of it. A lot is made of the complexity, but if you have any basic soldering and electronics skills, it sounds simple. I am planning to replace my T|E battery (stock at 850 mAh) with a more powerful one (1200 mAh) and will try to document the procedure for the benefit of all. If you have ever cursed your battery length and you've got a steady hand and a brave heart, this is a thread for you!

(BTW, PDAparts.com has a page with instructions for dismantling a wide variety of PDA's. Recommended if you've never been inside yours before!)
Old 07-20-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As an afterthought, I would like to stress to those who are interested in this: by undertaking an operation of this sort, you void the hell out any warranty you may have, extended or otherwise! Make sure you've thought it through.

That said, if anyone is interested in this, I'm eager to help. I'm hoping to have my battery by the weekend, and if the listed sizes are accurate, it should be a fairly simple operation, and the end result should be at least a 50% increase in battery life.
Advert
Old 07-20-2004, 10:53 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I am planning to replace my T|E battery (stock at 850 mAh) with a more powerful one (1200 mAh) and will try to document the procedure for the benefit of all.
I saw that thread too, and found it very interesting... from a distance!!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out for you. More "power" to you! (Sorry for the bad pun.)
Old 08-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Is the patient recovering?

Ignatz, I found this thread just now, as I'm searching mobileread.com for comments about the Tungsten T3. I'm about to buy one, but many people say its battery life is too short.
So, please tell me about the patient's life before and after the surgery.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic

Ah! I forgot to post back. For me it was disappointing, because the battery that I bought for the T|E was larger than advertised and would not fit into the space of the old battery. I'm on the lookout for something smaller. However, if you head toward the last several pages of the very long thread over at Brighthand, you will see that some have been completely successful with modifying the T|3. You need to be able to solder, or have a friend who can. You also need to be confident dealing with small electronics. Sounds like a good investment to me. However, if I was going to buy now, I would buy a Clie TH55. From all I hear, the battery life on that thing is out of this world. It's still a bit more than the T|3, but it may be worth it.
Advert
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure about the TH55. My concerns about it are a) some of the buttons, including the jog dial, are on the back, and b) the processor seems too slow (or is it?).
Today I'll try to play with both, the T|T3 and the TH55.
And I'll post a new thread asking for references about the TH55.
You see? I'm trying to make a responsible decision here!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #7
ignatz
mechanoholic

I suppose it depends a lot on what you do with your Palm. As an avid reader, I really like the idea of the jog button in the rear. Currently I have to tap the bottom of the screen or push the down button on the d-pad to go to the next page. But if I do an experiment and hold my Palm naturally in one hand, I find that my thumb is on one side, my last three fingers on the other, and my index finger is at the top back! And it doesn't matter which hand you hold it with.

Now admittedly I am inflamed with lust for this device, but have not actually handled one in operation. But between the battery life, larger screen real estate, and the ergonomics, which I think would work well, I continue my admiration unabated.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado

It also depends on how you hold your Palm. I'm an avid reader, too. But I'm obsessed with landscape mode. Now, if you hold your Palm in that position, the buttons on the TH55 would be either too close or too distant to your f... nay... I guess, at the end, the thing is we're both inflamed with lust for different devices. Worst of all, in a platonic way.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 PM   #9
ignatz
mechanoholic

Ah! I hadn't considered landscape mode, having never used it. Hmmm... I really need to get my hands on a TH55 and see if I like it or not.