Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
How to copy library from desktop to laptop?

Have been trying for about 3/4 days to accomplish this task:

I have 273 books in my library on my DESKTOP. I would like to have the same library on my LAPTOP but after numerous tries with no success, perhaps this isn't possible? Both computers have the same OS, win7 64 bit but wonder what I am missing. Anyone with a suggestion?
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Thanks for the reply, but have already tried it. Had to let program rebuild the db, the error about the rebuild failing. Program closed! Further instructions?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
Thanks for the reply, but have already tried it. Had to let program rebuild the db, the error about the rebuild failing. Program closed! Further instructions?
There are no obscure steps. The library is a single folder that includes the metadata.db file and a bunch of sub folders for each author. Simply copy this folder to your laptop. Install calibre to your laptop and point it to your library folder. Since the OS is the same there should be no reason why you should have to rebuild the db.

You need to tell us exactly what your doing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Just noticed you're USN Retired, me too! Nothing to technical, have the DT library copied to cd, then copy to same directory on the LT. No joy. Should I uninstall everything and start from scratch?
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Just noticed you're USN Retired, me too! Nothing to technical, have the DT library copied to cd, then copy to same directory on the LT. No joy. Should I uninstall everything and start from scratch?
Involving the CD makes the Library READ ONLY.
You need to select the Library folder in the OS (calibre NOT running)
and REMOVE the Readonly attribute for all files and sub-folders.

(I am also ex-USN )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Just noticed you're USN Retired, me too!
It's a small world.

Copying from Computer A to a CD then to Computer B is not the same as copying from Computer A to Computer B. Once you copy the library to the local drive follow theducks advice and you should be good to go.

Also if you haven't done so yet check out the Navy General Library. The library has available for checkout 14366 fiction ebooks and 9452 non-fiction ebooks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
PatGIV
Connoisseur

OK Guys, thanks for the advice! Have to go watch the Alabama-Auburn game now (ROLL TIDE!) and after that hoping for Notre Dame to get beat. But after trying the remove read only will post back the results. Again, thanks for the advice!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Involving the CD makes the Library READ ONLY.
You need to select the Library folder in the OS (calibre NOT running)
and REMOVE the Readonly attribute for all files and sub-folders.
I'll be doing the exact same thing in a few days only I plan to use a USB 2.0 flash drive or an external HD to transfer the Library folder to a new laptop.

I'm guessing I'll have to manually add my customized plug-ins to Calibre on the new machine? I thought I'd read of a way to copy over with plug-ins included a while back, but danged if I can find that post now that I need it
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
PatGIV
Connoisseur

Ok! Alabama is burying Auburn and I've been fiddling w/the problem. Decided to just go ahead and uninstall all. Copied the library and fresh copy of Calibre 0.9.7 to USB external. Copied library over to the c:\users\name\documents, then installed the program and...............................Ta Dah! There is the entire 273 books all in a row. Thanks guys!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I'll be doing the exact same thing in a few days only I plan to use a USB 2.0 flash drive or an external HD to transfer the Library folder to a new laptop.

I'm guessing I'll have to manually add my customized plug-ins to Calibre on the new machine? I thought I'd read of a way to copy over with plug-ins included a while back, but danged if I can find that post now that I need it
The settings can be copied, the plugins will still need to be installed.
IMHO do the settings first.

Locate the Configuration folderS There is a button in Preferences Miscellaneous that opens the folder.
LEAVE IT OPEN
shut down Calibre.
Copy the contents of the folder to the New Machine.
Start the New Calibre (you might need to Switch Libraries if the same (path and) name was not used)
and install the plugins as normal (the old settings should all be in effect)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Actually theducks, I thought nowadays plugins didn't need to have to be reinstalled, just if you copy that whole calibre preferences folder that include the plugins it should be sufficient. I remember Kovid correcting me on this a while ago. I had one plugin that was not "portable" in this way (Generate Cover) which I subsequently fixed in response to that discussion.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Actually theducks, I thought nowadays plugins didn't need to have to be reinstalled, just if you copy that whole calibre preferences folder that include the plugins it should be sufficient. I remember Kovid correcting me on this a while ago.
I did not get that memo
At least... Re-installing does not hurt anything
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Actually theducks, I thought nowadays plugins didn't need to have to be reinstalled, just if you copy that whole calibre preferences folder that include the plugins it should be sufficient. I remember Kovid correcting me on this a while ago. I had one plugin that was not "portable" in this way (Generate Cover) which I subsequently fixed in response to that discussion.
That was it -- the 'Configuration directory' under Preferences > Miscellaneous!!

As I recall, that post had detailed step-by-step instructions (which I sort of need) since I'm quite happy with Calibre on my old machine and would love to have it on the new one. I don't suppose you'd remember the approximate date of that post, would you???

Wait...I think I found it (was from last May)...

This is the thread, I believe.

Not really step-by-step, but maybe if I play around with it a bit I can figure it out.

Thanks to theducks and Kiwidude!!!

Last edited by DianNC; 11-24-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add info.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote