Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Help viewing calibre gui data via commandline

I am trying to get a better understanding of the calibre library data available when creating a typical user interface plugin. Please could someone get me started.

As an example, some simple code I already have in a working plugin is this:
Code:
db = self.gui.library_view.model().db
book_authors = db.authors(book_id, index_is_id=True)
where book_id is a known value.

If I want to create that gui db object in a commandline session (either interactive or in a script.py file) so I can poke around a little (viewing only) what do I need to do?

I've seen the calibre-debug -e myscript.py option in the user manual but I'm not sure how to access the gui data.

Secondly, if the above is possible I would also like to look around the available data when a device is connected (self.gui.device_manager.connected_device when used in a plugin).

In case it's relevant, I don't have any development environment - just my trusty text editor (Notepad++)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library import db; db = db(); Do whatever with the db object"

For device access, you can directly instaantiate the device plugin, like this

calibre-debug -c "from calibre.customize.builtins import PRS505; device = PRS505(None)"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks, I'll have a play
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

After some playing around I'm OK with the 'db' part of your reply but not the 'device' part. I understand, using your example, that I can do things like
Code:
device=PRS505(None)
print(device.EBOOK_DIR_MAIN)
to view some variables, but if I want to be able to examine other device data available whilst the device is actually connected to my PC, what extra do I need to do?
e.g within a plugin, if I wanted to know what drive the device was connected as I would use
Code:
root_path = self.gui.device_manager.connected_device._main_prefix
what extras would I need to import to be able to access this data via the commandline?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Call device.open((1,1,1,'','',''), 'test') then calibre will connect to the device and you will be able to interrogate the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you, that works. The fog is lifting...