Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
skhturner
skhturner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
Making exam flashcards

I have made exam flashcards in Word - the 1st page has a question and the 2nd page is identical but the answer appears underneath. I wanted to use these in my Kindle so by going to the next page, the answer "appears"

When I save as PDF and then covert to MOBI using Calibre, the spacing is all messed up. Everything becomes lumped together (like a regular book).

Is there any way to keep the spacing exactly the same during the conversion? Thanks in advance
skhturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhturner View Post
I have made exam flashcards in Word - the 1st page has a question and the 2nd page is identical but the answer appears underneath. I wanted to use these in my Kindle so by going to the next page, the answer "appears"

When I save as PDF and then covert to MOBI using Calibre, the spacing is all messed up. Everything becomes lumped together (like a regular book).

Is there any way to keep the spacing exactly the same during the conversion? Thanks in advance
... don't convert to mobi, but use the pdf file directly
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
civiliza
civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!civiliza , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3, PW2
When Mobipocket Creator is reading HTML files, it treats the tag:

<mbpagebreak />

as a page break.

I don't know whether Calibre does the same.

Darn it, that didn't look right - it converted colon p into a smiley. That should be mbp, colon, pagebreak

See http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...agref_mobi.xml for mobi custom tags.

Last edited by civiliza; 08-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.
civiliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can convert from many types of sources via Kindle Previewer, Mobipocket Creator, calibre, etc. I realize that Word is probably easy for you to use, but it is a PITA when it comes to converting to mobi or ePub. If you have the skills and the editing tools to create the book in HTML, I would highly recommend doing so as this gives you much more control and makes future edits very easy. You could then use CSS to control the formatting, including page breaks.

If you wanted to force a page break before every H1, you could add this to the CSS file:

Code:
h1 { page-break-before: always }
If you wanted to force a page break before various tags, you could add this class to the CSS file:

Code:
.pageBreakBefore { page-break-before: always }
Then add the class statement in your HTML where you want a page break to occur before the tag, for example:

Code:
<p class="pageBreakBefore">Blah blah blah...</P>
Okay, I know that using HTML is a lot of work for some folks, but in the end it gives you tremendous flexibility and control. It is well worth learning if you don't already have the skill.

However, if you absolutely need or want a WYSIWYG editor, then try Sigil rather than word. Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor for creating ePub books. You can then easily convert the ePub to mobi with Kindle Previewer or calibre.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-21-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
skhturner
skhturner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.0
thanks for the tips :-)

Leaving as a PDF works OK but I'll look into the HTML stuff - bit beyond my capabilities for now though!
skhturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by skhturner View Post
thanks for the tips :-)

Leaving as a PDF works OK but I'll look into the HTML stuff - bit beyond my capabilities for now though!
You can use the BookCreator.

you can use a <pagebreak> between each page. then create mobi document inside the Word (it uses Calibre of course )
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture.png
Views:	252
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	91238
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exam, flashcards, formatting, kindle, spacing