Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
kidslumber
Children's Author
kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Thumbs up Microsoft to support odf and pdf in Word

At last! Microsoft will support odf (Open Office, Libre Office) and pdf in Word.

http://www.zdnet.com/office-to-final...ts-7000002696/

and

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-offi...on-7000002689/

kidslumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
ODF is old news, and only partially supported; last time I checked re-saving an ODF would put it in a version of the format which only Word could open. Typical MS behavior, though- adopt someone else's format, add your own proprietary extensions to it, then see that the original format dies from lack of use.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
ODF is old news, and only partially supported; last time I checked re-saving an ODF would put it in a version of the format which only Word could open. Typical MS behavior, though- adopt someone else's format, add your own proprietary extensions to it, then see that the original format dies from lack of use.
I agree. Somehow my work computer (Windows 7, Office 2010) has developed a taste for saving documents in odf format dunno where it came from, maybe because I installed LibreOffice. Only problem is it tells me every time that it can't save in that format - in fact it is this message that makes me remember to change the file type to docx.

Editor's note: damned spill chuckers. I wrote 'saving documents in odf' and it was changed to 'off', and I wrote 'file type to docx' and it was changed to dock, and neither of them was noticed (by me) until later. <sigh>

Last edited by James_Wilde; 08-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Well, what do you think about the "PDF" use(support)?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
kidslumber
Children's Author
kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kidslumber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

odf support

The articles that I have linked to refer to Office 2013. It is that version that is supposed to fully support odf. :
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So if it does... who cares? OO and LO already open doc.. so what do you gain?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
kidslumber
Children's Author

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So if it does... who cares? OO and LO already open doc.. so what do you gain?
At the moment saving an odf file as a word document can result in less than perfect results. It's hard to criticize LO or OO because they are using an open standard to match a proprietary format. But if MS is serious, it should be able to perfectly import an open standard document into their proprietary format.

For authors who are required to supply a Word document, but only have OO or LO available to them, surely this is good news.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Well, what do you think about the "PDF" use(support)?
Should I start digging that format a grave as well?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslumber View Post
At the moment saving an odf file as a word document can result in less than perfect results. It's hard to criticize LO or OO because they are using an open standard to match a proprietary format. But if MS is serious, it should be able to perfectly import an open standard document into their proprietary format.

For authors who are required to supply a Word document, but only have OO or LO available to them, surely this is good news.
Ah, because MS Office is so cheap now (I get the full suite for $50), its been a long time since I used OO, pre-Oracle actually, but I do not really remember any problems with Word docs (that was pre-docx too, though).
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I'm amazed it's taken MS such a long time to support PDF fully.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll be glad to see Word import PDF's. Office 2010 already does a fine job exporting to PDF, excluding Project. I still use a 3rd party print driver style converter to output Gantt chart PDF's.

ODF or XML may become the industry standard but even today our experience is PDF is still the safest format for formatted document exchange. Our only common annoyance is having to scale PDF printouts between ANSI and Euro sizes (e.g. A4 and Letter).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libre office, ms word, open office