Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Samsung Note 10.1, Nook Simple Touch, M92
E-Paper Writing Tablet

Hello

I am a product designer, and this is my idea:

[Images deleted - MODERATOR]

E-paper display
Uses technology currently in labs from any number of companies, potentially:
>E-Ink Corporation (electrophoretic ink)
>Liquavista (electrowetting)
>Mirasol (Interferometric Modulator Display)
>Sipix
>Reflective/Pixel Memory/Ch LCD

The technology I have been looking into in labs is much more developed than the what the current e-readers on the market are equipped with.

This is what is now possible:
> No ghosting
> Less than 1ms response time (no matter how fast you move the pen, it will look like ink is transferring from nib to display)
> High contrast ratio (between 15 and 18 - paper is usually 15)
> Vivid colour support
> Flexible static/refreshing screen - parts of the screen update, whilst others remain stable, thus saving battery
> Ability to display video

Key Features
> Take notes with pen or type documents using onscreen keyboard
> Lightly textured interface with soft flex - feels just like paper to the touch
> Intuitive touchscreen navigation
> Flexible and modular software - apps, multiple format support for pdfs, imp, epub, lrf etc
> Cloud backup via 3G and Wifi
> Internet browsing just like a tablet
> Notesharing, groupwork, class synchronisation
> Battery life - weeks
> A4 tablet as standard, but also dual screen A5 "book"

Market
Essentially this is aimed towards students, so that they can take notes and do textbook work all from one device, but I think it would also be useful for professionals for syncing client information across the business and cutting on office costs, or even the casual reader who wants a place to write short stories, poetry, or annotate books.
The A3 model may appeal to artists and designers, who could make full use of the possibilities of digital editing, whilst also having the feel of drawing on a page.

Looking for feedback!
What do you think?
What else you would like to see from a product like this? Are there features it could do without? What would be essential to make you enjoy using it?
Would you have one? How much would you be willing to pay?

Thank you!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-25-2013 at 02:07 PM.
HarryHutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I would want the capability to add devices through bluetooth (speakers, keyboards etc).
I would also like the stylus to be more than just a method of adding eInk, maybe a button or two, combined with different gestures thus achieving the most common commands without having to access a menu system.
Being able to fold it, ie 180 degree foldable eInk display, so that I can put it in my pocket or purse knowing that it will be protected and safe, probably a kickstand on the backside, preferably onw that can turn so I can stand it up in either landscape or portrait mode.
Ohh, a SD card or Micro SD card slot.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i think you should call it the noteslate II and set up a whole website around the device and see how many people and tech sites will believe you are more than just a design student looking for a good grade on your project.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
HarryHutton
Connoisseur
HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryHutton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Kumabjorn
Cheers! Sounds good, especially like the wireless keyboard and kickstand idea - it would be like a laptop you could use in the sun.

Wireless keyboard and other add-ons are planned - you should be able to attach whatever you want to it, compatibility will be handled via apps.
In terms of writing and drawing, interchangeable nibs - ie chisel tip, markers, maybe brushes too. Common commands would certainly be investigated.

180 degree folding of the actual screen might not be possible, but durable covers and dual-screen hinged books would be.

Dual microSD slots for hotswapping (you put the new one in whilst the device is still on, wait a sec for info to be transferred, then take the old card out of the other slot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i think you should call it the noteslate II and set up a whole website around the device and see how many people and tech sites will believe you are more than just a design student looking for a good grade on your project.
Came across that several times during research, I'm not sure what the guy is doing currently but the surge of interest that met his pictures can only inform me that there is a potential market for the idea?
On the other hand, I am looking to prototype this soon.

Last edited by HarryHutton; 06-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
How did you get into all of these labs? Forgive me, but without proof, I'm a bit skeptical about these claims about the capabilities of e-paper technology, especially all of these characteristics being available in one kind of e-paper.

This makes me skeptical; if this tech really exists, why no one else has created products with it, or even displayed prototypes?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
HarryHutton
Connoisseur

Hi @chairman
I understand your skepticism, given what you currently see on the market. It is a frustrating fact that it takes many years before emerging technology is actual available to consumers. Liquavista (recently purchased by Samsung) developed electrowetting technology in 2003, yet we are still waiting on their first generation of e-reader screens.
There are many working prototypes. I can't publish my entire source list, but here's a few links to demonstrate what I'm on about.

BBC Article & Video LIQUAVISTA 2010
MIRASOL IMOD display 2012
AEROBEE E-paper Video 2011
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
Hi @chairman
I understand your skepticism, given what you currently see on the market. It is a frustrating fact that it takes many years before emerging technology is actual available to consumers. Liquavista (recently purchased by Samsung) developed electrowetting technology in 2003, yet we are still waiting on their first generation of e-reader screens.
There are many working prototypes. I can't publish my entire source list, but here's a few links to demonstrate what I'm on about.

BBC Article & Video LIQUAVISTA 2010
MIRASOL IMOD display 2012
AEROBEE E-paper Video 2011
Can you define working prototype, please?

I ask because Bridgestone (the Aerobee video) has dropped from the market and neither Liquavista nor Mirasol have shown off a screen that size. They also won't hit mass production before late next year, so I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to build a device around one.

And I've been told that Mirasol cannot actually make a screen larger than 5.7", so I don't know why they're listed at all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Hmm? Spam anyone?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
HarryHutton
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can you define working prototype, please?

I ask because Bridgestone (the Aerobee video) has dropped from the market and neither Liquavista nor Mirasol have shown off a screen that size. They also won't hit mass production before late next year, so I'm not sure that you'll ever be able to build a device around one.

And I've been told that Mirasol cannot actually make a screen larger than 5.7", so I don't know why they're listed at all.
Well it shows that the technology works. Regardless of funding issues with Bridgestone, it is proof of concept that the technology for the idea is possible.

This is a genuine post looking for feedback on an IDEA. I don't see how that can be classified as spam, and I strongly contend that comment.
Could we stay on topic?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I would suggest addressing the business market first. They are far more likely to tolerate vertical market solutions (e.g. standardize on your products from the tablet to servers for synchronization), they will pay more for your product and associated services, and it sounds like it's far more likely that they'll need your product.

It is a good idea, especially for mobile record keeping.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHutton View Post
@Kumabjorn
Cheers! Sounds good, especially like the wireless keyboard and kickstand idea - it would be like a laptop you could use in the sun.

Wireless keyboard and other add-ons are planned - you should be able to attach whatever you want to it, compatibility will be handled via apps.
In terms of writing and drawing, interchangeable nibs - ie chisel tip, markers, maybe brushes too. Common commands would certainly be investigated.

180 degree folding of the actual screen might not be possible, but durable covers and dual-screen hinged books would be.

Dual microSD slots for hotswapping (you put the new one in whilst the device is still on, wait a sec for info to be transferred, then take the old card out of the other slot)
If you can get your hands on an old HP OmniBook (I still have mine) you might get a few ideas. This was the only computer I've had that I could use outdoors. Unfortunately you can no longer get batteries for it so it is basically bricked now.

That got me thinking. It should contain some sort of "standard battery" perhaps like some of the most common cell phone batteries, perhaps two to get long usage time between charges?

MicroSD cards are obviously much smaller, but perhaps regular SD slots might after all be more preferable, if you drop a microSD in the grass (and it will be used outdoors) it will be lost, a regular SD you stand a chance of finding. If not, you should put some effort into designing the slots so you can't loose the microSD cards without being overly clumsy.

Another thing that would appeal is the front lit (glow, see; Nook) feature so you could use it in the dark, if you could add two LEDs that could light up the keyboard, or perhaps make a specifik de Luxe keyboard for the device with backlighting so the keys are visible in the dark. I can imagine this device being popular with students, this way your room mate can sleep while you work on a report.

Also, if your aiming this at the academic market, the ability to quote and have those formatted according to standard quotation rules (see; EndNote) and exported automatically to something like EverNote so they are instantly available with all the necessary data (Title, author, edition, page etc) would likely make it very, very interesting for those users.

Give me time, and I'll think of more.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Harry:

We at this forum are fairly familiar with those prototypes, as articles about them and videos are posted here regularly. The thing is, if you're going to be making a product, you should base it on what is actually available. What you propose I think has to be based on actual familiarity with the capabilities of these screens.

I think the main competitor for what you're proposing is going to be Microsoft's Surface Pro. People are going to expect the sort of performance you can get out of an i5 chip. I actually expect, if a viable non-backlit color screen comes into existence, for Asus or HP or Dell or somewhere to make something like this as a Win8 (or WinRT) tablet.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I LOVE it. You have some great ideas there, everything I'd love to use a reader for.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I'll take one, ifen I can afford one :-)

Would guess you know about it but the out of business entouage edge had some nice ideas though you are far ahead of them by far.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd have a way to access a normal sized (touch screen) keyboard for when someone wanted to write a longer document as opposed to notes. Of course having some way to export the documents (written or typed) to a computer for editing (for a writer) would be useful. Also I'd put an area on the right side that would access some sort of tabs (like in a paper notebook) so a person could add (and label) or delete tabs as needed as a means to organize the notes. Such a notebook would be very useful I'm sure.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote