Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Convert PDF to what???

Ok maybe I've been going about this all wrong. If you've seen any of my other posts, I've been stuck on the fact that many of the ebook readers stink at the PDF format. I kept trying to figure out how to get my PDF books to read on the current players.

But what if I turned things around and converted my PDF to another format? Assuming I get the PRS-505, which is the only e-ink device in my price range, what would be the best format for me to convert my PDF's into? I have access to all of the Adobe professional tools at my disposal and can download/configure/run anything you throw at me.

What do you PRS-505 owners recommend?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
If your PDFs are DRM-ed (Digital Editions), then you can't do anything at the moment but read them on your computer. If your PDFs are DRM-free then you could use the free utility available here called PDFLRF to generate Sony LRF files from the PDFs. This works well for me but is a necessary step if the PDFs are formatted for A4 or letter sized viewing. It's not at all ideal but was a real improvement. Letter sized PDFs become very readable. You can find PDFLRF in the Sony Contents area here. I've seen posts that suggest that if you have the full version of Adobe, you can reformat your PDFs to a smaller size. However, many of the PDFs where each page is a full letter-sized image and no text. I don't have a clue how you resize that without ending up where you are now - having to read large pages on tiny screens. I hope this helps.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Yes, thanks. I've been playing with Adobe Acrobat Pro and libprs500 to see the different output. So far, converting PDF to RTF from Adobe and then into libprs500 works nicely. There's an XML export feature but I don't know if libprs500 can handle that or not.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote