Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Nokia Blackberry

A U.S. company that claims it owns rights to some of the key technology used in the BlackBerry e-mail products announced yesterday that it has reached a licence agreement with cellphone manufacturer Nokia.

NTP Inc., a Virginia company that won a jury decision last year against Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM), maker of the BlackBerry, said its licence agreement with Nokia covers five U.S. patents at the centre of the legal dispute.

As you may well imagine, this is huge news in the cellphone market. Nokia had been waiting patiently since late 2002 for RIM to settle its patent disputes with NTP before offering the BlackBerry service on its cellphones. But now it seems that Nokia is tired of waiting. To cover its legal butt, Nokia has licensed patents directly from NTP. According to The Globe and Mail, a source familiar with the litigation between RIM and NTP suggested Nokia had "secured an insurance policy pending the outcome of the appeal", which is expected within the next few months.

More importantly, the move gives Nokia legal footing to begin the introduction of the BlackBerry service into its cellphones. Nokia's 6820 will be the first phone to ship with the BlackBerry service, expected to hit the U.S. in two to three months. Devices with the service have already been available outside the U.S.

The 6820 features a clamshell flip cover that turns the unit into a full QWERTY keyboard. Read more from CNET and the NTP press release, or a review from PDA Buyer's Guide.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Maybe it is just me but I find the cell phone with a clamshell flip cover looks ridiculous.
Advert
Old 06-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
You're not alone there, but oddly, I'm kind of intrigued by it. I may run over to the AT&T store near my place and check out the earlier 6800 models.