Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
E-book readers as stand alone device

Wonder how e-readers work without the desktops the force u to use (that dont work for me )
Specialy after a reset, does your e-reader work as mass storge device ?
Yes you cant read drm books ,but can you put books as a file on them ?
No test give any info on that subject .
Why i want to know ? Simple i have no WC or MAC So there desktops dont work.
My (old) nokia phone connects as a mass storage to my computer, so i can copy the books to it
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
My (old) nokia phone connects as a mass storage to my computer, so i can copy the books to it
What you describe is called 'sideloading' and AFAIK all dedicated readers support it. So you can copy your ebooks by hand if you want.

But if you want a fantastic ebook management program that also runs on Linux, look at Calibre. It has a dedicated forum here and will support just about any reading device under the sun, as long as it will present itself as a USB Mass Storage Device to your OS.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I have used my Kindle like a flash drive when I didn't have anything else available. A bit of an awkward solution, but it worked.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you don't have a computer the e-reader works fine because most of them allow for purchasing using WiFi. There are many a website that allow you to email books from their website to your device while using your device. This works well for folks who have a browser on their e-reader, like the Kindle.

One of the nice things about e-readers is that they do not require a computer. With the Kindle, you can buy a 3G device that allows you to buy from Amazon without WiFi. The browser does not work over 3G for the KT (although it does for the K3).
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only readers that have desktop software associated with them are the Sony's and Kobo's, but both allow sideloading through Calibre or as a drive letter.

Kindle, Nook, Pocketbooks, Onyx, Bookeen, etc. all allow sideloading through Calibre and drive letter as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
And if you buy an eReader that uses sd-cards you always have the possibility to fill this sd card separately (in a card-reader, for instance) and insert it then back into the reader. But normally this isn't necessary, as all the posters above have stated.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Why i want to know ? Simple i have no WC

That's unfortunate, but modern plumbing is not required for using an ebook reader. Electricity is required occasionally, though.

As Billi has pointed out for those readers that use SD-cards it is sufficient to just copy the ebooks into the books folder the reader has created on the SD-card.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
When I read the OP I was wondering how many posts it would require before the WC was brought up. OC I could understand but hitting W instead of P isn't even in the realm of a dyslexic. Well, stuff happens I suppose.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Most readers allow for side loading. It connects as a mass storage device, and you drop the files on. However, I'd recommend using some ebook management software.

I've used my Sony PRS505 with Linux for years with Calibre. Calibre is an awesome ebook manager, and it is opensource and crossplatform. It supports pretty much every ebook reader out there.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
When I read the OP I was wondering how many posts it would require before the WC was brought up. OC I could understand but hitting W instead of P isn't even in the realm of a dyslexic. Well, stuff happens I suppose.
I guess that it is supposed to mean Windows Computer. I admit to being sufficiently childish for not being able to let it pass, though.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Wonder how e-readers work without the desktops the force u to use (that dont work for me )
Specialy after a reset, does your e-reader work as mass storge device ?
Yes you cant read drm books ,but can you put books as a file on them ?
No test give any info on that subject .
Why i want to know ? Simple i have no WC or MAC So there desktops dont work.
The vast majority of readers do work without the need to connect to to PC with Windows or Mac.
The only reading device that didn't work that way was Sony PRS500. And PRS500 had an SD card slot, so I could load the books on an SD card using Linux or FreeBSD computer.

My PocketBook connects to Linux computer with no problem. Many devices have WiFi and can download files from internet.
If you buy Kindle, you can connect Kindle to Wifi (or 3G) and send files to Kindle by email.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I believe the OP meant Windows Computer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
It does dwig kacir i use my desktop to download because i can only use drm free.
ProfCrash downloading at amazon wil not work because of drm.

Ok so no sony and kobo ,the rest works as usb device,good to know,as sayed you can`t find that info in tests or manuals. Thanks for all replies.

Using calibre for managing the e-books , and that works great

Last edited by aardbewoner; 05-23-2012 at 05:11 PM.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
It does dwig kacir i use my desktop to download because i can only use drm free.
ProfCrash downloading at amazon wil not work because of drm.

Ok so no sony and kobo ,the rest works as usb device,good to know,as sayed you can`t find that info in tests or manuals. Thanks for all replies.

Using calibre for managing the e-books , and that works great
Sony works fine as a USB device--the very *first* Sony ereaders didn't, but the later ones all do.

Kobo also works fine by USB.

It's just that those two have recommended software to manage the books, which is important if you buy from those stores.; some people skip that entirely and use either Calibre or just drag-and-drop into the ereader's drive(s).

(I use a Sony PRS-505 and no Sony software, and don't deal with DRM at all.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I have used my Kindle like a flash drive when I didn't have anything else available. A bit of an awkward solution, but it worked.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has done this. Kinda makes me feel like a fool when I leave my thumbdrive in my computer at home, and have to put a work project on my Kindle.

"What are you doing?"
- Putting a project on...uh...here.
"Oh, your Kindle can open that? How much was it?"
- Uh...I'm just using it as a flash drive. It can't open *file type*.
Then I'd get a look that is a combination of bewilderment and disappointment from the person asking me questions.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote