Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
IPad 2 as a reader ?

I've been using a Kobo Touch for a few months and was happy enough with it until my wife started using it, now it's hers, I don't know how that happened !

So I'm in the market for an eReader for myself

I've been looking at the Kindle Touch, it's available here for $A185- or about $A155- from Amazon including postage

Though I have other eReading requirements such as technical magazines, newspapers, comics etc that an eInk reader doesn't do very well

So I'm considering an IPad 2 as an eReader, they're available here for $A399-

Reading technical magazines, newspapers, comics etc shouldn't be a problem for me as the time I spend reading them is only a half hour or an hour but I'm concerned how I'll cope with reading novels were I may be reading for a couple of hours at a time

Is reading on the IPad as tiring on the eyes as a full size computer screen ?

Are IPad users happy using it as an eReader ?

Thanks for any advice
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'm happy reading on it. Too me it's not tiring. I think it just depends on your eyes. But you are able to turn down brightness, make font changes, etc. so that could help with getting it just right.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Valhalla
Zealot
Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valhalla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I used my ipad2 as an ereader for a week or 2 before I went back to my kindle. Main issue was the size and weight, I was surprised how much difference it made.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I don't read books on my iPad, but I spend hours every day browsing and occasionally reading magazines, and the screen doesn't bother me. However, as Valhalla said, size and weight might be an issue. Also, you can forget about reading outside in the sun.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since your wife has your Kobo, getting a Kindle would be a very bad idea as they are incompatible. You would be better off with another device that handles ePub be it a Kobo, Sony, B&N, or even an iPad2. I do sometimes use my iPad to read with and I use Bluefire Reader as it works better then iBooks (overall). There are a couple of things vs an eink reader. The iPad is larger, header, and not as easy to hold in one hand. The ability to do so many other things with an iPad could be a distraction (if you get easily distracted). Oh and an iPad is poor in sunlight. The screen just gets very washed out. Plus, the battery life between charges is not as good as an eink reader.

But if all that doesn't bother you, then get an iPad. But if you want an eink reader, get one that uses ADE, having am incompatible reader is going to just be more of a hassle then it's worth. The Kindle won't handle ePub and you will have to strip DRM and convert. And it's a hassle to do so using Amazon's tools. Calibre doesn't convert ePub to KF8 yet.

The Kindle app for the iPad suffers from marginaphobia. It's afraid to get anywhere near the sides of the bezel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I didn't like reading on my iPad 2 at all. The 3 is much better, although I still prefer the e-ink screen of my Kindle.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I only read on my iPad. I use Bluefire reader set to night time colours and adjust the brightness to suit. Works well for me even reading for several hours at a time.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I read very little on my iPad, but that's mostly because I read on the train, and though I do take my iPad with me sometimes, I can only get it out if I'm sitting down. I couldn't use it while standing and holding it in one hand. An e-ink reader is better suited for that kind of reading.

One big advantage of the iPad against my Opus is the touchscreen, combined with the speed. For turning pages it's not really required, but looking up a word in the dictionary, or quickly flipping back a few pages to read a passage again, is so much easier and quicker on the iPad.

The backlit screen can be a problem sometimes, but I just adjust the brightness. It's relatively easy to do, press the Home button twice then slide the apps bar toward the left to got to the luminosity slider. I do it often but I can live with that.

Andrew H. makes a good point about the iPad 3 being better, because of the higher definition. But the iPad 2 does a good job for me.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
lovelygirl
lovelygirl began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
I've been using a Kobo Touch for a few months and was happy enough with it until my wife started using it, now it's hers, I don't know how that happened !

So I'm in the market for an eReader for myself

I've been looking at the Kindle Touch, it's available here for $A185- or about $A155- from Amazon including postage

Though I have other eReading requirements such as technical magazines, newspapers, comics etc that an eInk reader doesn't do very well

So I'm considering an IPad 2 as an eReader, they're available here for $A399-

Reading technical magazines, newspapers, comics etc shouldn't be a problem for me as the time I spend reading them is only a half hour or an hour but I'm concerned how I'll cope with reading novels were I may be reading for a couple of hours at a time

Is reading on the IPad as tiring on the eyes as a full size computer screen ?

Are IPad users happy using it as an eReader ?

Thanks for any advice
IMO,it depends on one's personal habits, it has little effect to me...
lovelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
eljoden
eljoden began at the beginning.

Device: none
well, I like it ... it has an appropriate screen size, comfortable for reading...besides, it's useful when I travel and it don't give me bored
eljoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I got my iPad 2 last November, and I haven't used my Nook since. I had a Nook Color at the time too, but ended up giving it to my sister because I knew I wasn't going to use it one I had the iPad. I found that I liked the "page" size on the iPad better, even though though the NC had a better resolution than the iP2. That being said, I don't have any problems reading on the iPad. I'm fine with the weight/size issue, but that's going to vary based on personal needs. I do miss the battery life of my eInk Nook, but battery life hasn't affected my ability to read.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I find myself using my Kindle less after I got my Ipad 2. It's not that the Ipad is a better reader, it's just that it can do so much more at the same time (which can be both good and bad I guess ). But it's a surprisingly capable e-reading device, although the Kindle is the best in that regard. But the Ipad is not bad at all.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find them good for different circumstances. When I'm out and about, the convenience of the Kindle is great. When I'm reading at home, the iPad is equally superb, but it's too big to carry it everywhere with me as I do the Kindle. There's really no such thing as a single reading devices that's "best" in all circumstances.

So yes, the iPad is a very good reading device. But so is a Kindle, or other eInk reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I find that I use my iPad a lot for reading PDFs, manga, comics and magazines, but I very rarely read anything that I can find as an epub on it. I find eink much more pleasant to read on, and would likely be more willing to get rid of my iPad before getting rid of my Sony readers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I find that I use my iPad a lot for reading PDFs, manga, comics and magazines, but I very rarely read anything that I can find as an epub on it. I find eink much more pleasant to read on, and would likely be more willing to get rid of my iPad before getting rid of my Sony readers.
That would be a tough choice for me! I want both!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote