Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Gobblet7
Gobblet7 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Reader for Quick Translating

Hello Mobileread!

I was looking to buy an ebook reader that:

A) Supports Cyrillic
B) Allows for quick, easy translation of words between English/Russian.
C) Allows for annotations to be easily made
D) Has a long battery life

while I have read endlessly about different models I cannot find ones that allow for swift translation via double "clicking" with a stylus or some similar swift feature.

If it is available in Australia and cheap, all the better!

Thank you.
Gobblet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest the Kindle. It has a very easy-to-use dictionary, especially on the Kindle Touch - just tap and hold a word on the screen to see the definition.

It doesn't come as standard with a Russian dictionary, but there appear to be a number available in the Kindle Store.

Pocketbook devices have excellent Cyrillic support (they are based in Ukraine), but I don't know how good the dictionaries are that are available for them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest a Sony Wifi PRS-T1. It has support for any font you can embed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest a Sony Wifi PRS-T1. It has support for any font you can embed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, Jon, but the T1 does not have a Russian dictionary, does it, and there's no way to add extra dictionaries to it. Good dictionary support is the OP's prime requirement.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Gobblet7

Thank you!

I thought the Kindle did not support Cyrillic but I must have been reading old threads. Does anyone know if there exists a good Russian/English dictionary for the kindle with cyrillic?

Last edited by Gobblet7; 04-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://shop.pocketbookreader.com/Son...PRS-T1-RUS.htm

Have a look at the Sony PRS-T1 RUS version.

Here's the manual in Russian. http://motivs.lv/man/sony_prs_t1_rus.pdf
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Gobblet7

Ah thank you very much! If my minimal grasp of Russian and some help from Google Translate has not lead me astray then that looks useful.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It doesn't come as standard with a Russian dictionary, but there appear to be a number available in the Kindle Store.
I haven't tested any of them, but, AFAIK, even though you can read Russian .mobi files on the Kindle, the Kindle does NOT support instant word lookup for non-Latin alphabet languages and since it doesn't have a Russian soft keyboard layout, it would require a jailbreak and a keyboard hack to enter Russian characters.
Therefore Pocketbook ebook readers or other ebook readers designed for Russian speakers would probably be a better choice.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Best thing that I have found for quick translations is not an ebook reader its translate.google.com.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pocketbook devices have excellent Cyrillic support (they are based in Ukraine), but I don't know how good the dictionaries are that are available for them.
There are plenty of Russian dictionaries available for PocketBook devices.
Free ones, commercial ones and also dictionaries of questionable origin.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There are plenty of Russian dictionaries available for PocketBook devices.
Free ones, commercial ones and also dictionaries of questionable origin.
Thanks for that, kacir. In that case, if decent commercial dictionaries are available, I'd suggest that the OP seriously consider PocketBook as an option.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I haven't tested any of them, but, AFAIK, even though you can read Russian .mobi files on the Kindle, the Kindle does NOT support instant word lookup for non-Latin alphabet languages
If that were true, there would be no point in having a Russian dictionary available.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If that were true, there would be no point in having a Russian dictionary available.
There is; it works fine for selecting a word in a book. What Doitsu means is that you can't type a Cyrillic word in and look for it in the dictionary. I very, very rarely use the dictionary that way, though.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I assumed that "instant word lookup" meant the popup dictionary definitions, as normal.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I assumed that "instant word lookup" meant the popup dictionary definitions, as normal.
It DOES work for looking words up in a book; I'm absolutely certain of that.