Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
VineGal
Enthusiast
VineGal began at the beginning.

Device: Still looking. (Trying Nook Tab and NookST, Don't meet needs)
Flexlighting for e-ink readers?

Hi!

I read a post that discussed the upcoming Nook Simple Touch is rumored to have Flex Lighting.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...night-reading/

Has anyone heard of this or have information?

I currently have a Kindle touch (after returning Nook Simple Touch due to incompatibility issue after 1.1.0 update)

I like e-ink devices since they are so light and the battery lasts a long time.
From reading info about Flexlighting, it doesn't sound like it will use up as much battery as a "tablet" screen.

But, being able to have the option to have lighting within the e-ink device instead of a separate light would be a great option for me.

So, my questions regarding Flexlighting are:

1. Any idea of what the price point may be?

2. Does anyone know if this will become available on other ereaders in addition to the Nook Simple Touch, such as the Kindle Touch?

3. Timeframe for launch?

I'm still within my return time frame for the Kindle touch.
Again, I'm really enjoying my Kindle touch.
But if flex lighting might be a feature on an upcoming device, I may think about returning.

I actually ordered the Kindle Fire last week when it was at the $139 price point. It should be arriving today or tomorrow.

I know that e-ink and LCD screens each have their special uses.

I am also considering a smartphone type of device. I'm just having a hard time rationalizing paying the monthly price increase for the data plan.

I don't think I need 3 new devices.

There are so many new products either rumored or ones that have actual launch dates that look like great devices.

But the technology is always changing, so I'd appreciate any advice on where would be a good place to get the latest info.

Thanks so much!

VineGal
VineGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
That would be cool, but I'd like the next Nook Touch to have flex lighting and a flexible eInk screen like the ones LG was demoing. I wasn't planning to replace my Nook Touch for years, but I'd reconsider getting one with both flex lighting and screen. Something that you can read anywhere, anytime, and nearly indestructible. A year or so ago, Amazon was advertising their Kindle with people doing things like slipping their unprotected Kindle into their backpack and riding off on a bike, and I'd never do that with current technology eInk devices because the screens are too fragile.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert