Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
raztaztwo
raztaztwo began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Kindle
Will the web searching function always be available for free?

Sorry! Another question I just wanted to know if the web browsing function on the Kindle will always be free. I know EVDO is supported at no cost but I had the impression that the current "web browser" is kind of like a trial thing? Am I completely off in left field? Or do you think at some point they will lock down the Kindle from surfing the web other than the Amazon bookstore...???
raztaztwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
They have said that access to Amazon and Wikipedia will remain free. They aren't certain if they can continue to offer unrestricted web access for free.

Edited to add:

The Kindle really isn't well-suited for web browsing. I think if you purchase it with that as a priority, you'll be disappointed. I'd far rather use my phone for that than the Kindle. The Kindle is a great reader and the EVDO access for getting content instantly and for searching is wonderfully convenient. It is not a UMPC.

Last edited by Alisa; 12-16-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
raztaztwo
raztaztwo began at the beginning.

Device: Considering Kindle
Thanks!

Thanks Alisa - I agree that it would not be the best for using as a web browser, but I thought if I wanted to look at other book sites for free ebooks (that aren't copyrighted) it would be nice to do it directly from the Kindle. I figured the feature of browsing the net would not be free forever Thanks again!!!
raztaztwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Feedbooks.com (which IMO has very well-formatted free books) is working on making their site more easily accessible to the Kindle. Right now it's a bit cumbersome but I'm hoping soon it will be much easier.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Feedbooks.com (which IMO has very well-formatted free books) is working on making their site more easily accessible to the Kindle. Right now it's a bit cumbersome but I'm hoping soon it will be much easier.
Yep a mobile version. In the meantime, as long as you add a single book through USB, you can still skip to some other book easily. Just click on the name of a book listed after the author's biography, or at the end of the book for recommandations, and it'll be downloaded on your Kindle.

I'll manually create a file with all of our books available for the moment while we're working on a mobile website, but it shouldn't take too much time to create the mobile website.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
I have a feeling that Amazon may keep it free. The novelty wears off quick, as it is not well suited for that job. So in the end I think most users will only use wireless for downloading content, and Amazon won't see any internal fears about wireless over use come true.
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote