Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question Fonts and how to add them properly...

Maybe this deserves a new thread instead of a post on page 3 of a thread about preferences.

I'm looking to get an insight in how to properly add fonts to the kobo.

Currently, it _looks_ like it parses the file name of the font in order to gain information about what type of font (regular/italic/bold/bolditalic) a font is. However, this looks strange to me because the 'payload' of the font (as opposed to the name) also contains this information.

When I first added Ubuntu 10.10 fonts, they would always show up bold. This would change after I had renamed them 'Ubuntu-Regular', '~-Bold','~-Italic' and '~-BoldItalic'.

However, adding Gentium and Gentium Book Basic I still managed to screw up because even though i renamed the font files as above, italics show up in bold (non italic).

Is there anyone who has experimented with this and found a failsafe way to add fonts to the Kobo and have them recognized as what they are?

thanks in advance...
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
vorchan
vorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it isvorchan knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Touch
Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1892223

You have to name the font files exactly like the font name. If you open up a font file in windows you will see the font name at the top. So for Gentium Book Basic you need to name the files "Gentium Book Basic-Regular.ttf", "Gentium Book Basic-Bold.ttf" and so on.
vorchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorchan View Post
Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1892223

You have to name the font files exactly like the font name. If you open up a font file in windows you will see the font name at the top. So for Gentium Book Basic you need to name the files "Gentium Book Basic-Regular.ttf", "Gentium Book Basic-Bold.ttf" and so on.
Thanks. I missed that thread. And happy that Gentium Book Basic works now, 'cause it's very good.

Last edited by Dryhte; 03-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Would someone be willing to post their working GBB font files here, for a look? With renamings and conversions, I've got a fair few other fonts working, but for some reason GBB still eludes me. Thanks.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Gentium Book Basic font download

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Would someone be willing to post their working GBB font files here, for a look? With renamings and conversions, I've got a fair few other fonts working, but for some reason GBB still eludes me. Thanks.
Still my favorite eInk font! Here ya go: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Cheers.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I just wish there was a working version of Linux Libertine...

If anyone gets that to work, let me know.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
Dryhte
Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Just try again... with renaming the downloads from the official site as posted above, it worked for me (but I'm not sure I'm allowed to actually post them here).

Oh what the hell Admins, if I'm not allowed to post this, kindly just remove it; otherwise I'll suppose there's no problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fonts.zip (1.42 MB, 371 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Roadbug
Bookworm
Roadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverRoadbug exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Original Kobo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for posting the properly named files. I had installed the fonts, but all I got was bold...
Roadbug is offline   Reply With Quote