Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
banhgau
banhgau began at the beginning.

Device: Pc
How to embed fonts in epub file ?

Hi, everyone.
Now, I'm researching Sigil but I don't use HTML code.
I need embed fonts in epub file and I did as follow:

-I click right mouse on Fonts folder then choose Add existing file

-But when I click "Validate epub", I received the notice from Sigil as image blow:

Plz point out if I have made any mistakes.
Thank you very very much.
banhgau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Well, nobody is using this font. You have to declare this font in the CSS stylesheet and then you need to assign the declared font to special rules.

Just by adding files the only effect you will get that the epub will will be larger.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
banhgau

Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
Well, nobody is using this font. You have to declare this font in the CSS stylesheet and then you need to assign the declared font to special rules.

Just by adding files the only effect you will get that the epub will will be larger.
Oh, I only used that font as samples.

Can you show me how to declare that font in the CSS stylesheet ?

And I don't understand this sentences "you need to assign the declared font to special rules." Can you show me more details or give me a example ?

My English is not good
Old 03-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
As this has nothing to do with Sigil i would prefer to ask this in the epub forum. And there are some sticky threads, its a good idea to read them first before asking questions already answered.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Some time ago I created a simple ePub template with an embedded free font. Have a look at the style definitions, add you own font and simply change the font name references.

BTW, if your native language happens to be French, there's also a French subforum.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-T1
To be more specific, it is not possible in BookView. You must do it in CodeView.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banhgau View Post
Hi, everyone.
Now, I'm researching Sigil but I don't use HTML code.
You need to learn. You can't create ePub without a reasonable knowledge of HTML. ePub books are HTML.

It's not hard to learn.
HarryT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by banhgau View Post
Can you show me how to declare that font in the CSS stylesheet ?
There's a book here in MR: "Howard: Savage Stories", which gives you a good example, how to embed fonts.
Quote:
My English is not good
For me it's next to perfection

Last edited by mmat1; 03-08-2012 at 02:51 PM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
banhgau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Some time ago I created a simple ePub template with an embedded free font. Have a look at the style definitions, add you own font and simply change the font name references.

BTW, if your native language happens to be French, there's also a French subforum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You need to learn. You can't create ePub without a reasonable knowledge of HTML. ePub books are HTML.

It's not hard to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
There's a book here in MR: "Howard: Savage Stories", which gives you a good example, how to embed fonts.

For me it's next to perfection
Thank you all so much. I will keep researching Sigil and HTML code, if I have another question, I will ask you later
Old 03-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo - Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi,

I certainly will not deny the need to understand and practice html and css, if only because it's the stuff ebooks are made of.

You can however produce standard EPUBs and embed fonts using LibreOffice in a graphical way only.

You have to know how to use styles with this word-processor.
You will also need to be able to attach (still within LibreOffice) a very basic css style-sheet containing a @font-face declaration like this one, which even can be written for you by dedicated sites like FontSquirrel:

@font-face {
font-family: 'LinuxLibertineOCRegular';
src: url('linlibertine_c-4.0.4ro-webfont.ttf') format('truetype');
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
}

Here is an exemple of one ebook of this kind, embedding the true smallcaps font quoted above. It has been realized using exclusively LibreOffice (and its W2X extension)

I would like this post not to be deemed as offensive on this particular forum, so I must add that Sigil is invaluable to check and edit your EPUB for whatever may go wrong and that I have been making use of it for a long time and still do.

Last edited by roger64; 03-11-2012 at 09:55 PM.
roger64 is online now   Reply With Quote