Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Kobo UK discount coupons and publisher pricing

I keep getting money off emails (30% this weekend) from Kobo (UK), with a long list of publishers with whom the discount cannot be used. Sure enough, whichever book I try to buy, the coupon cannot be used because of publisher restrictions, so effectively the coupon is useless. I believe this is because of "agency pricing". Can someone please remind me of the legal status of this practice, in the UK/EU? Is it being challenged? Is there somewhere I can go to constructively express my frustration at this anti-competitive practice, and hopefully help to get it banned, or at least get awareness raised?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The European Commission is currently investigating eBook pricing. As it stands, though, the practice is not illegal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Thanks, at least it is being investigated. Is it true that it is not illegal though? Is it more that it may be illegal, bit it has not been tested in the courts yet?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agency pricing arrangements are certainly not illegal (eg most car dealerships are agencies). What's being investigated is whether publishers have acted jointly to fix prices as a cartel. That would be illegal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I keep getting money off emails (30% this weekend) from Kobo (UK), with a long list of publishers with whom the discount cannot be used. Sure enough, whichever book I try to buy, the coupon cannot be used because of publisher restrictions, so effectively the coupon is useless. I believe this is because of "agency pricing"
I suppose it depends on what you read but I am able to make good use of the Kobo coupons. Sure, there are lots of exceptions -- but lots of "mainstream" stuff is eligible, at least in Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert