Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Design your own e-reader device contest

Core77 is having a contest where users can submit their own version of a perfectly designed e-book reader. If you're calling Photoshop, 3ds Max, Softimage, or <pick your favorite gfx application> your life , and if you think you can do better than Amazon, you may want to enter the game. The contest ends on Tuesday, December 11th and the grand prize for the winner will be a $125 NikeID gift certificate.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
I could'nt draw a design, so if anyone is interested a couple of suggestions.

I see the need for a number of sizes of reader - everything from A3 down to A6. At the moment rigid pages restrict things (A3 is just too big). The other restriction is the control panel, A4-A6 sizes mean a significant extra space for them.

The borders of the device are the best way to hold the device, they need to be generous without being too big 10-15 mm, no more.

We don't want a Kindle flaw (inadvertent touching of controls when handling the device).

An indented button design on each corner, for page turning means that the pages can be tuned back and forward regardless of orientation and hand placement.

But what of the other controls?

90% of the time they are not used, in current designs they are present 100% of the time despite their lack of use. So why not do what so many phones do today, pull them out when needed push them back when not. It would mean duplication, for the device has a long and short side and controls would have to be pulled out whether it being used in portrait or landscape mode.

At the moment, the devices are all very thin, a nice thing, but what about making them thicker and create some storage for SD cards and a cover for IO ports. Another pull out perhaps located on the top narrow edge, after all these should be used even less than the control panel.

Next, I like covers, the long left edge could be devoted to a firm spinal attachment to it, even if the back is left "uncovered". If the attachment is firm then a simple contact power connector can be used, and a simple cradle for recharging could take the reader by itself, or also with its cover on (no plug in other words).

To be really inventive, why not make a deluxe cover a little more than for mere protection?

A good robust pin arrangement could act as secure attachment point (holes covered up when detached), for wifi, LAN, extra USB slots, or a companion PC tablet/PDA as another option that has all the extras attached in a similar way and kept together and connected via the cover, yet separable by a simply operated latch.

On the topic of covers, which should bend back on themselves. An extra flap on both sides could be used to cover the exposed screen of the device not being used, and hold it together in whatever configuration it is being used in.

But perhaps a cover should be simple, just a hinge with pins to which a tablet or a protective cover could be attached.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I had a post related to this over at TeleRead

I had a post related to this over at TeleRead. The bottom line for me is that I don't have a single 'perfect' device. In different situations I want different form factors. If I start reading on my desktop, I should be able to sync my progress to my smartphone or e-reader and take it mobile.

The article is here:
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2007/12...n-book-reader/
Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote