Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
M92 fonts: why would a font not display?

Following Booxtor's little guide on how to install fonts on the M92 in the thread called "Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party software for M92 ", I tried to install my favourite font: Linux Libertine. However, my M92 apparently does not want to display it.

Putting the fonts in a ~/fonts/ folder and opening e.g. an .epub document, I see that all fonts are properly recognized and I can select them in the fonts menu. However, only the default fonts that came with the device will actually be displayed. When I select one of my new fonts, the previous default font will remain:
  • Install the fonts above
  • Open an epub
  • Select for example the Adobe Heiti Std default font
  • Switch to Linux Libertine
  • Observe that nothing changed
  • Switch to Adobe Ming Std default font
  • Observe the new changed text
  • Observe that it still is Adobe Ming Std

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Are you encountering the same problem?
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSSM View Post
Following Booxtor's little guide on how to install fonts on the M92 in the thread called "Firmware updates, dictionaries, fonts and third-party software for M92 ", I tried to install my favourite font: Linux Libertine. However, my M92 apparently does not want to display it.

Putting the fonts in a ~/fonts/ folder and opening e.g. an .epub document, I see that all fonts are properly recognized and I can select them in the fonts menu. However, only the default fonts that came with the device will actually be displayed. When I select one of my new fonts, the previous default font will remain:
  • Install the fonts above
  • Open an epub
  • Select for example the Adobe Heiti Std default font
  • Observe that nothing changed
  • Switch to Adobe Ming Std default font
  • Observe the new changed text
  • Observe that it still is Adobe Ming Std

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Are you encountering the same problem?
Hi,

what reading app do you use?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

what reading app do you use?
I was using CoolReader, but after I had some trouble displaying some .epub with it, I reverted back to using PDFReader (which I think is the standard reader for almost everything on the device). Now, PDFReader does not seem to have any option to change the font at all, so my problem is kind of solved... xD
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
The problem described by fellow continues with the latest version 1.7 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/update-20120514.zip) and CoolReader.

Another issue is that improving the FBBReader not allow the margin call.

regards

Last edited by fraylocus; 05-24-2012 at 12:21 PM.
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
juki
juki began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Has anybody found a solution for this issue? It's the same for me: using coolreader (wich is the reader I prefer for epub) it's impossible to change the font.
juki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by juki View Post
Has anybody found a solution for this issue? It's the same for me: using coolreader (wich is the reader I prefer for epub) it's impossible to change the font.
The CoolReader just change the fonts installed on the system.
External sources are detected, but not changed.
It is an old problem not yet solved.

My workaround is:

- Removed from the firmware zip sources not compatible with my reading language (Spanish).

- In an empty SD memory, put the firmware zip and add a folder named "fonts" with my favorite sources not present in the firmware.

- Updated the firmware to the end, we can see that the sources that we copied to SD memory are installed in the system.

And now if we can change them using the CoolReader.

I hope that works.

The other major problem CoolReader to use the hyphenation file for reading our language, it's fixed a partner in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187946

With these two patches, the CoolReder works perfectly.
None of which has been provided by the manufacturer, or their technical support.

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
Another issue is that improving the FBBReader not allow the margin call.
Is the "margin call" also the problem for to much space between the lines.
First I did read Science Fiction ePubs from
http://dorgon.proc-community.de/inde...ownload-romane
with the PDF-Reader, but I did want to change the font, because I installed some of the Ubuntu-Font-Family to my SD-Card.
With FBReader I could change the Font and Size, but the Space between the lines is much more than in the "normal" (not beta) PDF-Reader
So I get much more pages than in the PDF-Reader :-(

Does anyone got an idea for me?
Many Thanks in advance

EDIT: Now with open eyes I did found the "Font Style" - but now after changing the line-width he now didnt change the font if I want to change it - trying a restart...
Hmm now I cant see a change if I switch the font in the first epub book, but I can switch to another font and could see the change (switch to Ubunto Mono Font) in the second epub In the first epub (part 1) the font seems to be selected, but the display didnt change the viewing font

It seems that some ePubs are delivered with hard-coded fonts or font-sizes, which "could be removed" with the software Calibre, when converting / reencoding the ePub to ePub.
I'll give it a try....
PS: Part 3 of the story got the same "problem" as the first part....
I redownloaded the first part as another Filename, but the problem persist with part 1.

Last edited by guidol; 09-03-2012 at 05:43 AM.
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #8
guidol
Enthusiast

Question

Now I did "play" with calibre...
and when I do convert the epub to epub then all Parts of the Story could change the Font and the new Font is also displayed...
BUT with that conversion I do loose the Cover-Picture

Does anyone did get a converted epub with the cover?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
guidol
Enthusiast

Lightbulb [SOLVED for FBReader]

Together with Juergen Seel from http://dorgon.proc-community.de/index.php
we did take a look at the font-problem with their dorgon-epub-ebooks.

And for the problem, that on some .epubs the reader doesnt change the font its related to a "standard-bug" of FBReader

The problem is when you got a tag of "font-family" in your styles.css
(inside your .epub - which is a .zip-file with .epub extension) then FBReader will not change the font in the view :-(

I did test this and removed the font-family -tags from the styles.css, repacked the book with Winzip and renamed it back to .epub
Now I can view the book with cover art and I can change the font, which is also viewed correctly

Juergen Seel did show me the link to the info he found at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=11

And the FBreader-page stated, that they didnt fully implement the CSS-Features...so FBReader could have problem with some CSS-Styles:

http://www.fbreader.org/content/documentation/formats
There are two non-implemented features that many formats required:
- support of style sheets included in the book (e.g. for HTML that would be CSS declarations)
- table support